www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I found a newspaper article today about a boy being hit in the head with a disc while riding a bike at Central Park in Huntington Beach, CA. Here's the link if you're interested in reading it. 

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That course is in a densely populated area and there are annual fights over the property and what gets done with it. It's a miracle it has survived.
How long is this hole? ....anybody know?

We have a course in a park that has a paved trail and some dirt trails that come into play around certain holes...it didn't matter how the course was laid out....at some point the walking trials are going to come into play. On first inspection of the property and the initial layout...I was questioning why we are even in this park in the first place...luckily the designer allowed me and another to work with him and we did what we could to make it as safe as possible...we shortened several holes to well under 200 feet...more like in that 140 to 160 range...we changed direction on a couple holes. We did what we could to lessen the risk to people using those trials....does it eliminate it completely...no, we have had some folks get hit...no trips to the ER as of yet that we are aware of....

We took some heat for designing a short course from a couple of self appointed elitist types..."The course is too easy" "it's a joke"....even got a nasty review...But none the less it was going in...one way or the other. The course has become overwhelmingly popular in our area.....very beginner friendly.

My point to those of you reading this either involved with this HB CA course or other designs in congested parks. Short holes lessen the risk of injury to others...3 main reasons...1. the teeing golfer doesn't have to wait as long for people to clear the area...thus reducing his/hers patience factor....2. short holes allow for easier communication with other park patrons who might be in the way. 3. Your not throwing as hard.
If it was hole 4 it is only about a 200 foot hole but is uphill with heavy trees for the last 75-100 feet.

This photo looks like it was taken about 60 feet in front of the teepad and maybe 5 feet past the paved pathway. The hole positions are (1) 20 feet right of the 'red dot' and (2) thru the tree tunnel on the left side of photo.
Really there is nothing anyone could do to completely prevent accidents from happening...The Hole pictured..if there are in fact blind spots on it.....maybe try a sign at the tee asking for a spotter.
Here is a weird day. Got into California the night before. Get up, reading the OC register and I see this article. Go and pick up Mark Colicott and head off to Huntington. We are getting ready to play and are talking to a guy. I mention the article and he goes "yeah I hit him." The first guy we were talking to. It was a route he shouldn't have been throwing on hole 3. Things happen. Then during the weekly the guy playing with Mark and I was with him in his group when he hit the kid. I figured the next thing would be I would meet the lady who's kid it was at the bar.
That is strange, Mike.
Small world...I hope the guy who hit the kid learns something from that.
The problem is that most courses are inside of public parks....period. The parks are used for tons of activities in my area...sat. and Sun. Forget about it...you have to go to the course on the southside of town that everyone is afraid of(for no reason either). Our parks have done a horrible job of telling people there is a disc golf course. Granted through time people realize and understand it, but not everyone does. Constantly we have to ask cars to move out of our fairways cause the park is set up to where you can drive all over it and find that perfect tree to park under....wait what's that weird metal trash can. Is about all they think when seeing a basket. People don't know about the sport unless you are in a community that supports it through the roof. If you are not in one of those communities there are constant risk...I mean I wouldn't want to get hit with one of these disc....especially not if I threw it. I could see one of these killing someone if hit in the temple or something. It is up to the disc golfers to make signs and work in conjunction with your city park system to make sure people know where they are...also let them know what spots don't have any holes on them...so they can enjoy the park just like we do...but safely.
There was a story posted here a couple of months ago...about a women who got clocked in the face at Sunset in Vegas..The article stated she may have sustained permanent eye damage.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968