www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I found a newspaper article today about a boy being hit in the head with a disc while riding a bike at Central Park in Huntington Beach, CA. Here's the link if you're interested in reading it. 

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That sucks.....12 acres???? No freaking wonder someone got hurt...With today's high speed discs getting hit in the head is damn near being beaned by a fast ball...a fast ball with a edge.

Got to love some of the comments on that article.
Read the article.
How about a redesign of the course to make it safer.
How intuitive of you.
Multi syllable word you used....
Hmmmmm, there is hope!
The little guy must been clipped with a Norpedo.
Just an example of why you don't need to throw a Destroyer on 180 foot hole.
Seen everyone hit a tree.
Wasn't a car hit in Melbourne?
Daytona? Or was the paint?
all i have to say is that it's not the course's fault, its not the thrower's fault (to an extent), its not the parents fault, nor the kids, it's everyone's fault the course because maybe there ought to be a super obvious sign warning people who travel across the course, the throwers because, lets face it the way it was described the throw sucked, the parent because if that course has been there for 33 years, and sees 3,000 people/month shouldn't be obvious that it's a risk? (personally i would blame the parent for being negligent more so than an ill designed course) the kids fault for being weak, i mean who gets cut on a disk...wimp (not really but i thought it was kinda funny) any who...people these days honestly it would be the same (to me) to put up a minor league baseball field and expecting every ball to stay inside the park, is that realistic? no, anyone can see that its a risk that every person runs going to see one or be in the area of a game but w/e
I wonder what hole this was on? The article said near the playground. It might be possible to overthrow number 2(it is around 380' to the left dogleg). Otherwise there are no other areas that I can think of that comes near a kids area. HOWEVER, EVERYTIME I have played there, there is always a family or a kid/parent walking through the course. The course is completely contained and does not criss cross any open public walkways, so you pretty much have to blatantly walk across in front of people throwing discs all around you. In fact it is so contained that if you cross towards the horse trail you have to turn around and go back.
BUT, it is possible to smack a horse rider on the trail. My bro just missed one last week.
One of the holes I thought of was hole 6. A big accidental hyzer (rhbh) might be able to clear the cliff and sail down near the playground.
that's true! The hole is short too and if you have seen some of the weekenders trying to throw a Destroyer or something then it could definitely happen! But I am surprised that we don't hear more reports coming from El Dorado. There is that main public walkway running right down the middle of the course! On a side note, I did overthrow number 11 and slid one into Mike's(doughboy's) chair (ya know the guy that is there all day). But in all fairness I did clear up my karma with that by buying him a 6 pack of Bud!
This is a problem whenever you have a course where people walk or play near the course. That is why I love mountain courses where there are no bystanders. What is the rule if you are walking near a ball golf course and get beaned? You knew there was a course there. They would have to show negligence to attempt a legal action. It's kind of weird because I was just reading about the other case on dgcoursereview.com. Our course here in Colorado Springs has a walking path around it and somebody could get beaned at any time. The city put up caution signs but they were quickly stolen. Can't count on the city for much. The best thing that they could do with our course is remove the walking path, but I know that will not happen. People be careful! That other link is:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/claim...sbee-city.html

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968