www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Let me start this off my saying I am an Idiot. I focus to much on one thing and don't pay attention to other things. Having said that, I am out on a new 9 hole course about 35 min from my house. Neat little course, a lot of fun. I get to the 7th hole. Each hole has a Very Nice printed hole sign with the distance and layout of the hole. They are in metal frames that are about chest high. I line up on the right side of the teepad on #7 and let loose with a high hyzer. I hear BOOM and feel A LOT of pain in my hand. I got TO CLOSE to the hole sign and backhanded it on my follow through. 

I took some skin off the top and hit my middle and ring finger knuckles pretty hard, so they are all swollen. I got a 1/4 cut on the top of my middle finger that is down to the bone. I butterflied it cause I don't want to go to the Doc for 1 stitch. 

As the day has gone on it is getting harder and more painful to make a fist, but at least I know I didn't break it. 

The DUMBEST part was as soon as I realized what I did, all I could think was. "I GOTTA FINISH MY ROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". And, in true stupid form, I did. Plus another 9 holes. I used my disc towel to stop the bleeding long enough to throw between holes, then realized I had bandaids in my SUV. Yes, I am Special. At least I played a -2 for 18 holes, then another -2 on the second 9 holes.

Anyone else ever get a disc golf injury? 

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My wife's too.  She's a Physical Therapist.
Legs  , knees , lower and upper back , elbow , pancreatic surgery.
Ahhh so after I scrape them up. She gets them going again. Sorry black humor keeps me sane..
You should check out Five-Ten's High top Impacts. Were I play, we get alot of falling twigs/branches. The high tops have saved my ankles plenty of time. Plus they are hands down the best disc golf shoes I've ever tried. Still no toe wear through after almost a year.

I had a similar thing happen my first time at La Mirada.  I'd never been to a course that didn't have seperate teepads, so I had no idea that there even were the little tape brackets indicating teepad.  I threw off the dirt right next to the teesign.  I backhanded it and eventually the top of my hand swelled up to about the size of a golf ball.

However, I did play 36 holes after that :)

Also, I killed both my ankles at Oak Grove one day.  One on a step thru off of #4's tee and the other one I stepped on a rock on hole 9 that looked stable enough but wasn't.

I did something similar and backhanded a tree once but it just bruised me a little bit! Hurt like hell though!

Not really an injury but I was laid up for the month of July and most of August with Lyme disease this summer.  I never saw the tick that infected me, but the only time I was in the woods prior to contracting the disease was playing DG, so it’s almost certainly a related ailment. 

Busted myself in the nuts from an overhead follow through. Sucked like hell!
tripped a little on my x-step and fell down the hill right after the tee-pad. Messed my 20-year-old back up pretty good. Felt it on every throw. Sure as heck wasn't gonna let it stop my round with my friends, though.

Disc-golf related injuries:

Torn left MCL;

Wrist and elbow tendinitis;

pulled left oblique muscle...

Holy S!@#..... Wicked takes the cake! LOL!

Here's the sign I mangled my hand on a week and a half ago. I started playing from WAY behind the tee pad now. Lol.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968