www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

how do u know what weight to throw?

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As with what type of disc you throw, I'd throw what weight feels comfortable. Back in the late 80's and early 90's I liked the heavier weights but now most of my drivers are lower weights. There are many schools of thought on this so I'm interested in what others think also.

Cam
I wasn't able to find it, but Blake T., technique guru and creator of joes flight chart, has a list where he takes golf distances and equates them to recomended weights- I believe he uses rocs as the base example.
Many find max weight to be more consistant and some apply this thought throughout their bag. Another popular choice is max weight putters and mids with 170 ish drivers.
As a general statement, I like putters 174, mids 175, drivers 170- however, I carry multiples of the same disc so many times I have a range of weights
discgolf is the shizit..........................YEAS it IS.

I throw light, just my preference. The weight on the disc is never the actuall weight of the disc anyways. Way a few on a digital scale and you will see how far off they are. 2-10 grams is not uncommon.

My recommendation is to throw what feels "cumfy" to you.

Good luck and have some fun.
way: (noun) manner, mode, or fashion: a new way of looking at a matter
weigh: (verb) to determine or ascertain the force that gravitation exerts upon (a person or thing) by use of a balance, scale, or other mechanical device
Depends on the Disc and what it is being used specifically for !!!
I guess weight is a personal preference. I like the majority of my discs @ 173g... but Understable discs I like lighter @ 169-171g.... Super Overstable a bit heavier @ 175- 180g. That's just me though. I find that lighter weights flip easier for me. Heavier stuff does better in the wind.
If you're just starting out, keep it lighter, 150-165 for drivers, up to 150-170 for mids, whatever weight you want for a putter: lighter putters will glide farther, heavier putters are less affected by wind.
Down and dirty. For tailwinds go as light as possible. Headwinds, a heavier disc is a good choice. Now I like to throw lighter discs, because I don't throw with much power. With a lighter disc, you will create more spin and get a bit more glide out of them. I have also found that I have no problem throwing lighter discs on windy days. I find you need to adjust your technique more than worrying about the weight of the disc.
I did the max weight thing for a bit, but found I like lighter discs for the most part. However, on my short or hyzer mids and putters I like them on the heavy side. It's just something you have to play around with to find what you like. Plus I do think some of, if not all of it (as far as weights) is a bit of a mind game. If you THINK max is the best for you. Then it will be and vise versa.
i am not a very strong girl so i throw light discs. 150cl drivers, 165cl midrange, 169cl putters :) heavier discs just wont fly as far for me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968