www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This may seem strange to some, but I've spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about the financial crisis and people not having jobs.

If there are large numbers of people out there who do not have jobs, but who are not yet starving (And I know this is so from personal experience!) then wouldn't it be nice to connect all those skills and hours of potential work time in ways that invest in disc golf?

What if we knew, here in Ann Arbor, how to reach 35 unemployed guys with time on their hands, and could gather them in one spot to build a new course or benches or signage, or go store to store looking for club or tournament sponsorship? Or design posters or YouTube video spots . . . etc.?

Not sure what that would take. I think it could really be powerful to invest in disc golf this way, because I think this economic situation is really going to favor disc golf anyway.

Thoughts?

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To me its all about how much I want to get out and play these courses. The sooner they get in, the sooner we can get out and have some fun. I personally don't care if I get paid in anyway. I just want the satisfaction of knowing that I helped make this sport just that much better by being part of adding another course to it.
hey now,one would have to sign a release waiver for insurance purpose dealing with ANY city/gov't project is one problem I foresee.Problem #2: time spent "playing" instead of trying to find work might have your spouse question your work ethic towards basic living"needs".Now if single,that might not be a problem,you answer to/for yourself.Peace

William Gilbert said:
Terry you are definately the thinker out there.
We could put people to work finding funding to conrete tees, wood to build the forms, signage, trash cans, refreshment for the workers etc. at Waterworks. I know foz has it in his long term dreams i am sure the city wouldn't have a problem with it.
We will be needing the same kind of stuff at ypsilanti but i don't know how that donation would work as do they give the money to A3 or the property. we could of course sell tee, tee sign, bulletin board sponsorship for the ypsi courses.

MBD may also benefit from some of these ideas as well. I think the city would love some financial backing to finish that long slow process?
one idea that I had was to implement a clearing house of sorts on DGRUS for clubs, leagues and tournaments (etc) to post
a want list for graphic designs to be used on discs, posters or other advertisements. It could be a new tab on DGRUS just call ART. There would need to be specific criteria for it to benefit both artist and customers. for example - all listings MUST be posted 9-12 months prior to deadline. All requests MUST have monetary compensation equaling or exceeding minimum wages and specific details about copyright and ownership MUST be addressed in all requests. and I know there would be tons of details necessary beyond what I'm addressing. just an idea, what do you think , Sheila & Terry ?
Well, I think asking people to plan almost a year ahead is not likely, but you never know. If you wanted to try to create such a resource, I would be happy to give you access to manage a page like this one - http://www.discgolfersr.us/page/artwork-rfps - which gives you space to post information on top and allows others to post comments below. Another way would be to create a Club for this purpose, and there is already an artists club, I think, but this could be more formal. And the RFPAs (Request for Proposals from Artists) could each arrive as a thread start, with discussion permitted following that? What do you think?

get your discs and godiscn said:
one idea that I had was to implement a clearing house of sorts on DGRUS for clubs, leagues and tournaments (etc) to post
a want list for graphic designs to be used on discs, posters or other advertisements. It could be a new tab on DGRUS just call ART. There would need to be specific criteria for it to benefit both artist and customers. for example - all listings MUST be posted 9-12 months prior to deadline. All requests MUST have monetary compensation equaling or exceeding minimum wages and specific details about copyright and ownership MUST be addressed in all requests. and I know there would be tons of details necessary beyond what I'm addressing. just an idea, what do you think , Sheila & Terry ?
i am currently an umemployed plumber. my wife hates when i play disc golf because i "should" be out looking for a job. if anyone knows of an actual disc golf job, even travelling, please send me a pm.
I was thinking that at least initially the idea behind this subject was to put unemployed disc golfers to work as unpaid volunteers? The idea as i thought terry was expressing it was if you had time or resources to help disc golf needs. you could help maybe with work on a course whether existing or new courses. help raise funds either for course improvements or for tournaments. Knocking on doors and trying to get donations to events. Subway is a really good and simple place to start and are usually very supportive with a few gift cards. you don't have to get a lot at one spot but hit a lot of little spots.
That's right. That was the initial intent. (I'm all for discussing broader ideas, too.)

William Gilbert said:
I was thinking that at least initially the idea behind this subject was to put unemployed disc golfers to work as unpaid volunteers? The idea as i thought terry was expressing it was if you had time or resources to help disc golf needs. you could help maybe with work on a course whether existing or new courses. help raise funds either for course improvements or for tournaments. Knocking on doors and trying to get donations to events. Subway is a really good and simple place to start and are usually very supportive with a few gift cards. you don't have to get a lot at one spot but hit a lot of little spots.
simple solution for those worried about the wife- teach her to throw, or get a divorce!
your answerer to everything right Ben?
hey now,divorce is not always the answer Ben,nor is come along and play.Peace

Ben Calhoun said:
simple solution for those worried about the wife- teach her to throw, or get a divorce!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968