www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

In our store, a frequent topic of conversation is the great value that disc golf provides.  Low equipment cost, free to play at just about every course, etc.  I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'd like to hear you opinions.  Is there a less expensive sport than Disc Golf? 

Obviously, you can paint a lot of scenarios about ways to spend money on a given endeavor, and lots of devout disc golfers spend a lot on the sport over time.  However, I'm thinking of this in terms of the funds necessary to purchase a decent set of discs (say 5-7 discs) and a bag, and play 3-times a week.  Essentially the equipment and costs (greens fees, etc.) required to start the sport, play it semi-frequently, and gain proficiency at it.

Let's take Bowling, for example.  While most folks don't buy their own ball or shoes right off the bat, simply playing three times a week (without any beverages or snacks) would run you at least $25 a week, or $100 for just the first month.  That's more expensive in my book...

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well let's add it up: A loving wife, 60 acres of land, 24 baskets, tee pads, commercial mower, chain saws, chipper, pole saw, gas, oil, hot stamp, tee shirts, custom discs, golf cart, pole barn, utility vehicle, the best people in the world. Yep it is cheap.
basketball? you can get a cheap one for about 20 bucks and play for years.
The cheapest......running
I don't know about that. Every time I look at running shoes, they seem to be about $70 a pair for mid-grade shoes. That's about the price of a starter set right there...
Ok...running requires shoes but really no other equipment....cheaper then running....swimming....no shirt no shoes...no problem (sounds like a country song)
Try this site you can have a lot of options to choose for a running shoes.. www.zbsports.com

thats like calling walking a sport because you bought a pair of walking shoes. hmmmmmmmm, sounds like fun.............um, no.

discgolf is about the same as any other sport if you play rec style. 30-50 bucks gets you going. you take it from there.

any sport gets more expensive if you want to improve by getting more or better discs, balls, clothing, shoes, boots, bikes, hats, sunglasses, swim suits, ect. all are cheap at first, but then you get obsessed and have to have the best.

great thing is, all you need is yourself to play discgolf, at least one buddy makes is much better, you dont need alot of people to play, thats a huge bonus!
skipping stones across water.one doesn't need anyone else,just like dg and stones are free.competitive sport,distant throwing,larger target,LOL
As an early object/target player,all we needed then was a frisbee.The sport has come along nicely and is relatively inexpensive.
Yeah it's cheap until you add in the beer and all of the money that I spend at league each week. Now if I can just hit that $500 Ace Pool next week I can get all of that money back.
Disc golf is cheap if you don't have a plastic addiction.

Thats when it starts to get a bit expensive.
What about that "sport" where you catch that ball on a string in a cup?
all you need is a buzzz, same or less cost than a soccer ball..... and you can play by yourself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968