www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Unfortunately we (disc golfers) are a select group.

Limited in numbers by most standards, but growing; have to acknowledge that.

Where is the future is it money... not right now it isn't when compared to other mainstream sports.

Will we ever be free of lack of respect from the general public?

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol me and my buddies are approaching our 1 year anniversary that we started playing... yup with whammos

In Daytona every year Carl Edwards comes and plays Tuscawilla Park (Daytona 500).

And races at the speedway also.

Dont' believe that Innoava will spend a million or so to be on a car...

Started this post not as a comparison to "ball" golf, but to all other sports.

Curling seems to get more respect...

Disc golf has an image problem.... how do you shake it.

Or embrace it.

Look at skateboarding..... it is not a crime to skateboard.

What saved Xtreme sports was money.

The X games and promotion of money and sponsors brought it to the mainstream, making it cool to do that which is not 'normal' putting yourself at risk...

I've been playing since about March of this year.  I've played many different sports in my life.. so I will compare the ones I'm familiar with.. One post at a time.

Pros = what we should emulate, Cons = what we shouldn't.

1. Ball Golf

Pros = The exciting apparel.  I'm serious.  It's like women/girls on Halloween who get to dress up as slutty as they want and nobody can say anything.  When I play golf I sport the loudest dumbest looking shirt, shorts, or pants I can find.  Its freeing.  People don't say anything except "He must have been playing golf".

Cons = Tearing up all the native fauna to replace it with water intensive grass in a water depleted world.  Ball golf courses are beautiful and everything but just not worth it.  I really enjoy the fact that disc golf works with its surroundings instead of making the surroundings work to it.

*On a side note.. I do enjoy throwing a golf club in frustration more than throwing a disc in frustration after a bad shot.. because typically the disc will THEN fly perfectly and very far away.. which I then have to go get which then adds to the frustration.  Where as a golf club not so much..

*Getting the press into any sort of tournament you can also a great idea.  Especially if your are donating to any cause.  I've never seen anything on any sort of media around here in Tampa in regards to Disc Golf. =(

I appreciate the growth I've seen in the sport in just the last couple years. I preach the game to all that will listen and have introduced disc golf to at least a dozen people. These people have done the same. Keep playing the game with a righteous attitude. Remember that each time we play, we represent the sport as a whole. If you want to get respect one has to at first give it.

Chevy Chase don't need respect. in fact the game is easier to enjoy that way.

We need some folks from ESPN to come out and play !!!!

In Daytona we get a few, few NASCAR peeps.

Some that do the production work, Carl Edwards, and our locals that do the circuit....

It's a matter of time.

Strange though the NASCAR guys want to go play the course "Lefty" all day!

Go figure?

HEY, LETS DANCE.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968