www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

(Snip)A 24-year-old Sheboygan woman has been charged with child neglect after her
6-year-old son was found wandering a park as the mother played (snip)

....The kid was bummed since he was under par when they took him off the course.

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20100604/SHE0101/100604026/Di...

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hate to read articles that paint our sport in such a bad light. We don't need more bad press to go with many people's already negative perception of the sport.
wow,only in wisconsin.
That doesn't paint the sport in a bad light, that's a bit of an exaggeration. The issue is #1. A child that didn't do what he/shoe was supposed to be doing, #2. A parent that should have made that child wander around the course and play around the course near us while we play, as we move, they move, have yet to have ANY issues with kids or parents not enjoying themselves., #3. Cops that are more concerned with trying to manage people that aren't hurting anyone rather than concentrating on the crack dealers, meth makers, drunk drivers, and other criminals that they should be concentrated on, #4. Someone not minding their own ^%^$# business.

This has nothing to to with disc golf and everything to do with human error. People don't make the sports look bad, the people make themselves look bad, people that see people doing the wrong thing and associate their wrongs with the sports they partake in are just being discriminatory. Everyone is discriminatory in some way, often time several ways. Like it or not, it's the truth....
Wow, glad to see the police are after hardcore criminals.

Kudos to these cops, they must be the cream of crop.

Wonder how much time is going to be wasted in overcrowded courts for a bad judgement call. The cops could have called child protective services which is just as overcroweded, but usually give at least a half a damm about the kid and his future.

now let's go to the next step. A child who has had a parent in jail is far more likely to end up in jail (7 in 10). This mom will now have a criminal record that she has to disclose when she fills out a job, good luck finding a job. Since she was 18 when she had a the baby, most likely she is a single mom.

We have just condemned another generation of this family to poverty.

yes I know this sounds over the top, but I work with these kind of kids all day. The odds of this kid showing up and having me to render services just skyrocketed. I hate when I see something this stoopid ruin a child's life and give that child yet another strike against them. And yes, a single mom and 18yo mom is two strikes.

Lastly, I am sure you all know one or two kids / parents who pulled themselves up by the boot straps and overcame the odds against them. for every one you show me I can show you a 1000 who did not.
I'll dip my toe into this one too.

I can imagine times of my own when I was watching my 6 year old boys play in one part of a park, while I circled around them as I was playing disc golf. Had my eye on them and everything. We even designed a city park in Bozeman (Course of DISCovery) to cater to youngest kids of the family in one area (with a "youth course") that allows the older family members to play disc golf within eye and ear shot of the little ones.
Disc golf is the least important part of this story. In fact, I think you meant to say, "I hate when stupid people make our species look bad." This girl doesn't seem to be very good in the decision making department, so I feel sorry for the kid's future. Some may say that the woman that found the kid was sticking her nose where it doesn't belong, but they are idiots! Talk it out or yourself, "the woman that helped the lost 6y/o is wrong?" How does that makes sense?

BTW: If you don't believe the woman didn't do anything wrong, please do society a favor and refrain from having children yourself, as we don't want to have to clean up your mess either.
Dude you need a vacation. lmao!! ...you got all that out of a news story that may not even paint the whole picture.

When cops respond to things like this they do have some discretion in making the arrest. The story reports the child was 6, lost and the parent stated she did leave him unattended. I would say that's enough for any LE officer to make an arrest. Yeah, he probably could have cut her some slack...but apparently he didn't. Without first hand knowledge of the incident or the demeanor of the parent at the time she was found and questioned.....we really don't know the whole story.
BTW, 6 is way too young to be left unattended like that....the officer probably made the right call.
You are all missing the point! This all started with helmet and seatbelt laws or any law that was designed to protect us. Sooo there was a time these people would not have made it to the age of breeding. It's called thining the herd....;)
irresponsible parent...bottom line...play disc or watch your kids, don't do both, 'cause then you aren't doing either one as well as you should be...

in any event, leave your kids at home when you go to the golf course, disc or ball, especially kids that young who aren't going to be playing...it's nothing but dangerous for them, and they quite easily become an annoyance to other golfers...
think the officer was a Bears fan....

i take my kids to the course, but they go hole to hole with me, they are 3 and 6, i wouldn't leave em at the playground
While Jaime is right that we only have a limited view of the incident, don't be so quick to discard the important background that Charles laid out. It indeed constitutes much of the important context within which we are to understand the social patterns and consequences of issues like this.
Exactly. You go to the playground after the round.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968