www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

My son is turning 5 in a couple weeks and I am contemplating getting him started on a bag for his birthday.

Does anyone have suggestions on ultralight (120 g or so) discs that would be good for him?

Thanks for the Help!

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ultralight Rock-it. My girlfriend has the strength of a 5-year-old and that is what she throws.
I think any player, young and old, weak or strong, should start off with just a putter. Once they start to max out the distance possibility of that putter (around 300') add a mid till they hit 400' and so on.

They'll definitely achieve more control over a shorter amount of time this way and that is the important part.
I agree with you about the putter start, but most people cannot throw a putter 300 ft. I throw an r-pro boss over 400 ft, but max out with my challenger at okay, well almost 300. But I think maybe at 150 ft with a putter they could benefit from an understable mid or even a driver.
I donno. I find that throwing a putter 250+ doesn't require a whole lot of effort. You just need to find the line and regardless of your power level you can lay a putter up there pretty far. Heck, if you torque a putter really hard it's just going to flip over on you anyway. I think that people move up mostly because they see an easy distance increase and don't consider that maybe they can build more skill by sticking with the putters and mids.

The important part of driving a putter being that you get it up there on a straight line that stops short instead of a giant hyzer which may not be as predictable and can skip past the target.
I definately agree about your suggestion being the best way to learn disc golf. The mids and putters make up your core game and should get most of your attention (until you're a ROC solid AVIAtoR, or the market equivalent).

I don't think a person should shy away from drivers altogether before then though. Drivers are fun to throw. Spend the bulk of your practice on putters and mids, but then loose a few drivers too to spice it up. But those drivers are addicting and I think most people I play with and often me as well get caught up in the driver craze.

You offer some good advice...not just for the beginning golfer, but for the rest of us ams as well.
140 cheeta very easy throw
I bought a future first disc for my son on gottagogottathrow. 120g Buzzz for 4.95.
My daughter loves her 135 cheetah. and putts with 150 aviar.
125 ultra light buzz from worlds i think, u can get it at gottagogottathrow.com

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968