www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am planning to buy a bunch of new discs (drivers) soon because my old ones are getting pretty worn out. I want to make sure I specify the optimal "weight". I realize it is a personal thing based on arm strength and technique.

For example I am throwing a Surge (164g) with great consistency and average distance just short of 300'. Also I am throwing a different Surge (175g) with erratic results, but when I "hit" correctly I get almost 350'.

I know the theory of mass/velocity and the balance that must be maintained. A water balloon can be thrown much farther than an air balloon, but at some point the water balloon can be too heavy to throw.

I am getting older (56) and leaning towards going "light weight" but don't want to give up those opportunities for distance afforded by a heavier disc when released correctly. I have several discs (180g) that I can't throw at all with any consistency.

I find it amazing how just a few grams can drastically affect velocity and flight.

I would appreciate any feedback on what other folks consider "optimal" disc weight before I drop a couple hundred bucks on new discs. I know I can always buy a few heavy ones and a few light ones, but I'd prefer to get the "optimal" for this next purchase where I actually get to specify the exact weight instead of a weight range.

Is there some way to know what a person's perfect disc weight should be?

Just curious, any opinion is welcome.

Views: 534

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1st Blizzard plastic purchase today. Bought a 136 destroyer and I am in love with it so far. I have an average backhand of about 300 with a 169 star destroyer. Guessing the blizzard is adding about 50ish. Do not recommend for power forehand shots , my new 175 pro destroyer fills that spot though.

I threw a 150 gram Blizzard Destroyer !!!

Hi Good People,Firstly many thanks to Donny Olow-for such a warm welcome-also you make some very interesting  comments!!!  After the Olympics We hosted,the European Championships (PDGA) Here in GB, it was also the first time we had team stats -instead of the usual Individual stats.This meant we had 200 pros-something I`d  never experienced before.Being an Amateur it was weird ,even though I was a staff volunteer.My Biggest Suprise,was the Format-Players only played,One Round a day for 4 days,after 2 or 3 days practice-Is this usual ? -in major tourneys ? I suppose when I played at Santa Cruz,1991-WFDF-Individuals ,it may have been one round!! Does any one know??? please

Just wanted to throw out a follow up. That 136 destroyer has become my go to distance rhbh disc. I throw it in All kinds of wind and it does great. Severe wind I go with the obvious max weight over stable discs. I have slammed my poor destroyer into several trees at close range and it still flies true to its ratting. So overall 100% happy with my 136 blizzard destroyer.

I absolutely love the 130-140 gram Blizard discs. I have a TeeDevil, a Katana and a Destroyer all of fly farther than anything else I've ever thrown. They fly best for me when released on a hefty hyzer andgle - they flip up and fly fairly straight and seem to glide forever.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968