www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am planning to buy a bunch of new discs (drivers) soon because my old ones are getting pretty worn out. I want to make sure I specify the optimal "weight". I realize it is a personal thing based on arm strength and technique.

For example I am throwing a Surge (164g) with great consistency and average distance just short of 300'. Also I am throwing a different Surge (175g) with erratic results, but when I "hit" correctly I get almost 350'.

I know the theory of mass/velocity and the balance that must be maintained. A water balloon can be thrown much farther than an air balloon, but at some point the water balloon can be too heavy to throw.

I am getting older (56) and leaning towards going "light weight" but don't want to give up those opportunities for distance afforded by a heavier disc when released correctly. I have several discs (180g) that I can't throw at all with any consistency.

I find it amazing how just a few grams can drastically affect velocity and flight.

I would appreciate any feedback on what other folks consider "optimal" disc weight before I drop a couple hundred bucks on new discs. I know I can always buy a few heavy ones and a few light ones, but I'd prefer to get the "optimal" for this next purchase where I actually get to specify the exact weight instead of a weight range.

Is there some way to know what a person's perfect disc weight should be?

Just curious, any opinion is welcome.

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

plus practicing with both heavy and light discs can improve your arm speed and form. Kinda like running up hills and running down hills is good for sprinters. 

I threw a 150 gram Blizzard Destroyer !!!

Hi Good People,Firstly many thanks to Donny Olow-for such a warm welcome-also you make some very interesting  comments!!!  After the Olympics We hosted,the European Championships (PDGA) Here in GB, it was also the first time we had team stats -instead of the usual Individual stats.This meant we had 200 pros-something I`d  never experienced before.Being an Amateur it was weird ,even though I was a staff volunteer.My Biggest Suprise,was the Format-Players only played,One Round a day for 4 days,after 2 or 3 days practice-Is this usual ? -in major tourneys ? I suppose when I played at Santa Cruz,1991-WFDF-Individuals ,it may have been one round!! Does any one know??? please

Just wanted to throw out a follow up. That 136 destroyer has become my go to distance rhbh disc. I throw it in All kinds of wind and it does great. Severe wind I go with the obvious max weight over stable discs. I have slammed my poor destroyer into several trees at close range and it still flies true to its ratting. So overall 100% happy with my 136 blizzard destroyer.

I absolutely love the 130-140 gram Blizard discs. I have a TeeDevil, a Katana and a Destroyer all of fly farther than anything else I've ever thrown. They fly best for me when released on a hefty hyzer andgle - they flip up and fly fairly straight and seem to glide forever.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968