www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been playing discgolf for a few years now, and having played a ton of baseball in the past, found that throwing a thumber was my best bet. I can consistently thumb a 175 gram Star Firebird 350' for distance and a 175 gram Champion 11x Teebird 335ish with more control.

Lately I've been working on a forehand which I can out distance my thumbers on occasion but not nearly as consistent and predictable. I have heard that if I try a lighter disc on my forehand I will get more distance but much less control with my arm speed.

Being on a budget and not able to purchase more than 1 disc every so often, I was wondering what thumbing a lighter weighted disc would accomplish in comparison to the 175 grams I am used to throwing. Will it increase distance? Lessen accuracy? Tail more? Just thought I'd grab some opinions before making another purchase. Thanks in advance.

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Less accuracy and tail alot more, in my experience, I would recommend a 174/175 Boss for sidearm.
Actually I throw a 174 Star Boss for my sidearm. Thanks.
I have noticed that weight doesn't make that big of difference for me with thumbers distance wise. Weight only came a factor when there is wind.
Lighter weights travel quicker on the flip.
Lighter weight is going to lessen the strain on your shoulder. I played about seven or eight years of baseball, and I gotta say that thumbers and tomahawks feel like they could really wear down your shoulder. I've also found that they fly better for me. I've been using a Flick in the 160's as a primary overhand disc. I've also found it's just about the only thing that I can throw forehand with reliable sucess. It's corkscrew is really tight, but I still manage more distance than my firebird or Pulse (both bitchin discs). It's worth saying that my overhand is nowhere near yours in range though. 250' perhaps
Thumbers and tommys are real hard on your shoulder. You should focus on your forehand and use your thumber as a go to "specialty" shot. It seems there is no longevity in overhand because is works your rotator cuff WAY too hard. I don't know from experience, I am lucky to throw a thumber 190 feet, but it's a GREAT get out of trouble shot.
My buddy throws thumbers exclusively and plays in open class and he is an ex-baseball and -football player. He swears by the heaviest weight discs...he uses a max weight Avenger for drives and uses a max weight Viper for upshots. He does backhand putt, i'm sure if it was just as easy he'd throw thumber putts LOL. I've thrown thumbers from 168g Flash to 175g Xcals and Maxs. I started throwing lighter weight as it can wear on your shoulder. I do use a thumber enough myself and get near 300' but I'll change my disc based on wind and how tight the area is (different corkscrew patterns) that I need to slip a thumber in to get to the pin.
I throw a lot of thumbers and I can tell you that lighter weights 165-170 will give you more distance because of increased arm speed. I have not noticed much difference in flight or wind reaction as long as you commit and throw them hard.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968