www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Yesterday while nursing the flu, I was thinking do people put thought into shoes for a round. I mean outside of temperature. Do you pick basketball shoes, running shoes, or cross trainers?

Views: 480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hootie said:
Anyone worn the Bite Torque DG shoe/sandal hybrid? They look nice but I dunno how they would go.... thinking of getting a pair.

http://www.biteshoes.com/store/pc-1397-4-torque-dg.aspx?reqid=4&...

I dunno bout those. They look aggresive for dirt, mud and rocky stuffy...not real good for concrete tees though nor do they look like they offer much high ankle support..... I prefer more protection around the feet.....we got Fire ants here, those shoes take away some of the those first crucial moments of intial contact...when you see them cralwing on your shoes before they make it to your ankles. They don't look good for the fire ant factor.
Gee, that sucks.... we dont have any fire ants here... they sound like nasty little critters... they'd fit right in over here!

On the tee pad side, we got concrete tee pads with astroturf overlaid, so they probably would be ok, but i just worry about getting TOO MUCH grip and not being able to pivot properly....
I wear adidas $80 cause they are comfortable. get shoes not boots
Hootie said:
Gee, that sucks.... we dont have any fire ants here... they sound like nasty little critters... they'd fit right in over here!

On the tee pad side, we got concrete tee pads with astroturf overlaid, so they probably would be ok, but i just worry about getting TOO MUCH grip and not being able to pivot properly....

They do look pretty aggressive for a smooth pivot.
I drag my right toe on forehand shots and I throw forehand on most shots. A cheap pair of shoes and an expensive pair of shoes last about the same amount of time for me. I blow out the right toe before the shoes even look worn anywhere else.

So I try to buy shoes at outlet malls and discount houses. I rotate numerous pairs of shoes. The shoes I like best I add a "pitching toe" to. A pitching toe is a rubber replacement toe that glues onto the outside of the shoe. Pitching toes are sold for baseball pitchers and can be found in many sports stores.

Some shoes have built up toes. Keens (brandname) all have huge toes but are pricey. Shoes made for outdoor tennis usually have big toes. I look for these when I can find them on sale. I blow through the big toes too but it takes longer.

In the spring mud I usually wear football or baseball (rubber) cleats. They even work surprisingly well on cement tee pads. Nothing works well in deep mud.

In winter I wear light boots with sheet metals screws drilled into the bottoms. These are my ice cleats.

My form on a hard forehand drive has me bent over and low to the ground. When my plant foot slips out I do the full face-plant then roll in the dirt/mud/snow/ice. I have slipped out on drives so many times I am pretty good at sacrificing the body but not the shot. It is common in the winter for me to face-plant : pretty much every tournament and multiple times in some conditions. So consequently I choose shoes first for traction and grip, second for comfort (fit), third for fashion and fourth for warmth/dryness. I seldom care if my feet are dry or warm. It has to be bitter cold for it to matter.

Buying shoes at discount houses (Marshalls) means those shoes could not be sold at full price in the retail market. Sometimes they are factory seconds but sometimes they are just an incredibly ugly color or style. Since fashion is my third priority, I own some really ugly shoes. It doesn't bother me since many of the clothes I buy to play in come from the same discount houses and some are world class ugly. It is hard to pass up an item of clothing on a great sale that fits perfect just because it looks ghastly. Besides fat guys don't look all that good in any apparel.
How ironic...I just bought New Balance Cross Trainers for 44 bucks,can't wait to check them out on our local concrete T-Pads! I wear rubber football kletes when the day is wet. Get better dude!!
I get my merrells at an outlet mall to help a little with the price. Merrell is owned by Hushpuppy brands who also own Wolverine boots by the way. Check out a hushpuppy outlet store.

Initially I started out with Skater shoes (Vans) but we play in the mountains here so I bought a cheap hi-top hiking boot from Walmart. $19.99 lasted a pretty long time. After the sole came loose I duct taped it & it went another round before I was forced to look for new shoes. I have a wide foot so finding a good shoe was trying. Since the Walmart boots were so heavy I wanted to try something lighter. I found a pair of New Balance 474's XXX wide $39.99 at the local mall. They are a super lightweight shoe with semi-aggro sole. They are cool in the summer & in the winter I wear my 'sno seal' sox to keep out the water. So far, so good.

Well, I discovered these sweet shoes this year they are Keen Voyagers. Very durable, they have the big rubber toes that keep that hole from developing if you drag it on the tee. Way more comfortable than my Merrells, and they are water proof, not water resistant, water proof. If you want to spend your money on a shoe that will last and give you all the support and traction you want check these out!
good ol skate shoes..Vans!
Vans in the summer, my Redhead boots in the winter.
I've always played in my hiking boots....granted when you have nothing but mountain courses near you it's what makes sense. www.sierratradingpost.com always has great deals on gor-tex lite hikers. I got a pair of asolo's 2 years ago and they are still going strong.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968