www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

could someone tell me what the discraft challenger is similar to? also, thoughts about the challenger good and bad.

Views: 312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I won't get into the "what is this disc similar to" question because differences in putters can be so subtle. I will say that new, they are on the overstable side of putters. But when I say that, I mean it will have a nice long straight flight and then if it has enough height, it will fall off left a little. My experiences are with a Pro D challenger. I have 6 challengers at various stages of wear. That is something I really like about this disc as an approach...it starts slightly overstable as a new disc, then as it beats in a little it will go dead straight the whole flight. I also LOVE a really beat in challenger for turnovers and hyzer flip to straight flights. I've never flipped a new one, and that is valuable too.

On the putter side of things, I chose this disc because I preffered the feel of it in my hand over an aviar. It also has less float than the aviar when putting. I like that, especially when there is wind present. The disc just feels like throwing a brick at the basket, and that's good for me...if I miss I know that it was my fault...therefore I have confidence in my putter. Very valuable to me. That lack of float may pose a problem to a newer player however, shortening their effective range.

I love this putter and I don't see making a switch any time in the near future (I've been putting with them for 5 years now).
Challenger is a great putter to try out. Try out different wear and plastic, most people make the mistake of only trying one type of disc and saying they don't like it. I know it may be hard to buy several to try or find people with different types for you to try, but to give it an honest chance you really need to experience all that it has to offer, and that goes for any disc. I have Challengers in Pro, Soft, X, Cryztal Z, FLX, and they all have thier own uses and different rates of breaking in. I would say it's a great disc to have in the bag, very versatile.
i'm looking at getting a crystal z. i have a crystal z buzzz ss and i love the feel of the plastic. i also like the beadless putters for putting. i drive with a wizard or a voodoo. do you think the crystal z is a good place to start?

Mike said:
Challenger is a great putter to try out. Try out different wear and plastic, most people make the mistake of only trying one type of disc and saying they don't like it. I know it may be hard to buy several to try or find people with different types for you to try, but to give it an honest chance you really need to experience all that it has to offer, and that goes for any disc. I have Challengers in Pro, Soft, X, Cryztal Z, FLX, and they all have thier own uses and different rates of breaking in. I would say it's a great disc to have in the bag, very versatile.
PRO still stands to be the best for approach shots. If you are just looking for a putter that is a personal preference. However, for 250 and in, nothing works better than a hard PRO Challenger. I started using it for the first time last year and my up game improve by leaps and bounds. I have tried FLX and Crystal and they do not have the stability of the PRO plasitc

Coolhand said:
i'm looking at getting a crystal z. i have a crystal z buzzz ss and i love the feel of the plastic. i also like the beadless putters for putting. i drive with a wizard or a voodoo. do you think the crystal z is a good place to start?

Mike said:
Flx Challengers are wicked. I dont use them for putting but some around me do. During lunch or pre-round we warm up by throwing the flx challenger and if I had to choose a putter, this would most likely be it.
Isn't it just the same mold as a Big Bead Aviar?
Bill said:
Isn't it just the same mold as a Big Bead Aviar?

No. I've heard this before. I'm not sure what people base it on. If you look at the discs side to side, it's obvious that that is comepletely false. The bead on a challenger is not as large as on a big bead. I threw them both for a while and liked the challenger feel a little better. The challenger doesn't fly all too dissimilar than jk aviar.
its good, i use a CryZtal Challenger. and i cant compare it to anything, its Discraft....the best.
Tino "SilverBack" Medina said:
Flx Challengers are wicked. I dont use them for putting but some around me do. During lunch or pre-round we warm up by throwing the flx challenger and if I had to choose a putter, this would most likely be it.

if you had to choose a putter and this would be it....then why dont you putt with it?
I carry 3 crystal z challengers. The FLX is fairly understable (at least compared to the other 2), i use it mainly for cold weather play and anhyzer shots. I have a beat in crystal z that is my go to putter, and a newer one that i throw more like a mid range disc. They hold a very predictible hyzer line, and i can snap off a dart if i need to.

They are the only putters that i use, but there are some downsides to using them. Because the plastic is hard, they tend to bounce out of the chains where i see softer putters stick and roll forever when they catch an edge.
I really like the PRO for all around up-shots and putts. They are firm feeling, generally very flat on top, and they are rubbery feeling. The Cryztal are nice for the wear factor and using them on putter drives for short holes and placement shots. I personally don't like to use candy plastic as a putter for that reason of them deflecting easier, I like all the help I can get. I used the FLX for two years and like the feel, had quite a few 100'+ shots chain in with that disc, but now have more confidence with the PRO and Soft Challenger. Soft challenger is great for a little more grip than the PRO, really grabs the chains and still gives you a firm putter feel.

Coolhand said:

Mike said:
i have 2 but only carry the flx challenger. i'm short and have small hands & its hard to control for the long puts (50 ft putts) i use it for the tight or slightly turnover shots to the basket. (My putter of choice is the XD)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968