www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been throwing on my basket at home, especially to get ready for a tourney,  and i'm experimenting with practice methods.  Does any one have any advice on a method i've been using?

-From the basket, I'll throw my six or so discs out about 2 steps apart and staggered. This will usually stretch out to one short, and one past "the circle". I'll use a mini and approach every putt by marking it.  So here is my question, Should I start from the farthest away and work up to the shortest? and How about with the wind in your face/back? Any thoughts or other drills would be nice, Thanks!

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well that sounds pretty routine to me.  You might want to add,

1) Being on your knees for when you have to putt from under a bush or tree

2) Stretched out for when you are behind an obsticle and have to plant one foot behind it and stretch with the other to the right and to the left in order to get a shot.

You know, not every putt is routine as being 5 to 20 feet away with a clear path.

Oh.  Jamie the T.D. from my home course told me to practice breathing.  Apparently he has noticed that I hold my breath when I putt.

One could start with increments of 5',15'.20-25' and 30' ft out. Putt your comfort zone,miss and star over.Mark Ellis's putting clinic/practice had a game called "5th one counts".Putt 6 throws,the 5th is the one that really counts,harder then you might think at first,especially as you increase your distance.

Putting off balance,behind any obstacle was another exercise.Throw into the wind definetly challenges your putts,likewise from a protected side with the wind blowing from your left/right.Disc will react to an unfavorable wind.

I also putt left handed for the practice,I'm right hand dominent.I found it to be more natural.The distance between 5-25 foot range was great practice.These were done in 15 minute practice,walk away and relax.return for another 15.

Check the forum for past putting drills,most recent were in Feburary and march by members.Enjoy,have fun,hit chains.

I watched the Climo/Feldberg instructional video last night. On putting practice, Feldberg says he tosses a disc in his back yard, and where it lands is where he starts from. He carries his bag up to the disc, marks it, then does his repetition practice. Then tosses the disc again, starts over. That way he said he is getting all sorts of angles, wind, distractions, etc, and getting the practice done like he is actually out on the course, or in a tourney. Seemed to make sense....

The most important thing about putting practice is frequency.  In this way it is like exercise.  While some formats may be better than others, the most important thing is that you do it consistently. 

So if any particular program inspires or encourages you to practice more then do it.

Once a player has enough experience in the game they figure out the mechanics of putting.  This is the easy part.  Developing consistency takes practice.  But the hardest part is dealing with the mental aspect of putting under pressure.  You will spend the rest of your disc golf career dealing with this never ending challenge.

Making a  putt inside the circle is not difficult but missing a putt inside the circle is very easy to do.  On days when your timing or head are just slightly off you can hit a lot of metal and still pick your putter out of the dirt.

I practice all distances from short to jump putts.  I also practice from different elevations, staggered, from one knee (left and right), straddle, etc.  I also like to throw to a basket out in the field and putt from where all the discs land all different possible ways.

So true, I really appreciated the comment about breathing, too!  Knowing I had an important putt to make, and instead of standing behind it waiting for my turn, I would visualize the put and try to focus on steady, in threw the nose, out threw the mouth, breathing.  I think this definitely helped my focus and helped rest my nerves.  

I just spent 4 days working on mechanics, and I have come to think I have developed a Nikko Locastro style putt. Last weekend was our annual local tourney, and I made some great pars, and a few birds, too, and thanks to all your advice!  I didn't win, placed 8th(am1), but very pleased with my consistency around the green.

Oh, another practice tip, if you have a basket at your house, warm up, set some shots up, go inside and get distracted. Then head back out to your putt, approach your lie, and make it, then repeat.  The trick to this exercise is getting repetition out of your thoughts which allows you to practice a realistic tourney situation.

play perfect putt 360. it will step your putting game up guaranteed

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968