www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am a new player with no past experience. I really started playing in September, and I play everyday. The winter has been rather wet here in France, so I've been using towels - and I chose microfiber towels rather early, which means that I have little experience of regular towels.

Now I noticed that after a round of play, my hands are dried up, which is an issue both in terms of durability of these very-difficult-to-replace items and (more importantly for a truly dedicated discgolfer) in terms of grip. After a whole tournament last week-end, I am only recovering now (Thursday) - and I've been using lots of hand cream.

I was wondering whether this was a normal phenomenon, or something that has to do with microfibers (or is aggravated by them). The point of these extremely efficient fibers is that they lock up moisture, grease, dust etc... instead of shoving the stuff around. I assume this applies to sebum, which is badly needed by the human skin. In other words, if they do it to the disc, they do it to you.

So my question to experienced players who have switched from regular towels to microfibers is: did you notice any difference with respect to hand dryness?

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your hands feeling dry is probably dude to the weather conditions than your towel.
I prefer to use a normal towel myself. Call me old-fashioned.

PASSTHEDISC.com
In chemistry class today my prof told us that micro fiber towels not only pull the wetness from hands, it draws out natural oils from up to five layers of skin(there is 7 layers). This would cause extreme dryout from the inside out.
So there!

Thanks for asking your prof and sharing this with us. Indeed, talking about "moisturizer" is improper, the point is (as i think I mentioned initially) that we need sebum ("natural oil") to protect our skin. Wet weather actually tends to remove it and that it when moisturizer (greasy stuff in fact) is called for.

Anyway, as many have pointed out, it's a combination of factors, the towel is only one of them but it certainly is one.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968