www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Yesterday we were playing a $1/hole skins game at my friends private course. On hole #2 he hit a 210' thumber ace. So he took the ace pool of around $100. When we play skins there we also have longest putt on that basket because it services holes, 2, 9, 11, 16. Longest putt is a paid extra, so everyone who is playing and wants to be included pays an extra $1 for it. It's his course so really he can make the rule what he wants, but he would like a general consensus ruling before he calls what the rule will be. A few were saying it was his first throw but also his last throw on the hole thus being a putt. Some were saying it was thrown from the tee pad so it was just a nice drive that happened to go in, but not a putt. Some said it could be argued that he was outside of 10 meters so it was not a putt. Most tournaments I have played in where there is a longest putt hole, the winner will usually always be outside of ten meters, so I think that theory is out. I have no idea if being thrown from the tee pad makes a difference. Help us out, What do you all think?

here is the link to the video of it:
http://discgolfer.ning.com/video/toms-first-ace

Tags: Ace, Longest, Putt

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chuck Kennedy said:
Based on your precedents, just officially name the contest Longest Hole-out and you're golden.

Exactly!!!!

...whatever you guys do you need to define the rules better. If your playing a fun short pitch n putt course define it as "Longest Hole Out" regardless... therefore an 200 foot ace could feasibly be bested by a 225 foot second or third shot. The longer shot gets that money. The Ace gets the Ace Fund
Hello, It is friendly, but not exactly a fun pitch and putt course, take a look on discgolfscene. it is close to a mile long, just has a few short holes for ace potentials, three aces so far after over two years, and one was on an ace race with shorter tees, please dont talk down our crappy little course, lol, course record is 48 I believe, will have to check the board, it is not in my range anyway, Tom,
I do agree with your last statment though,

Jamie 'gr8rocshot' Ruane said:
Chuck Kennedy said:
Based on your precedents, just officially name the contest Longest Hole-out and you're golden.

Exactly!!!!

...whatever you guys do you need to define the rules better. If your playing a fun short pitch n putt course define it as "Longest Hole Out" regardless... therefore an 200 foot ace could feasibly be bested by a 225 foot second or third shot. The longer shot gets that money. The Ace gets the Ace Fund
I dont think the distance away from the basket is key here. What is more important is whether it is the players first throw for that hole or not.

For example, if you step up to the tee pad and throw it straight into the basket, that is an excellent drive that has just scored you an Ace, regardless of how far the basket is away or what sort of disc you are throwing. If the same player instead steps up to the tee pad, shanks the drive, THEN throws his second shot into the basket (in my opinion, regardless of the distance involved), then they would be eligible for the longest putt pool (or longest Hole-out as Chuck suggested as a far better name for this pool).

In my opinion, whoever established the course precedent that an Ace would scoop both pools was misguided (and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the one that actually hit the first Ace and claimed both pools by the way!). If the pools are established for a bit of fun, it doesn't make sense to allow someone to claim BOTH pools by throwing an Ace (this also benefits the bigger arms, as it means that even if they are poor putt/approach throwers, they can still scoop both pools by hitting the occasional Ace). Good luck in resolving it guys, hopefully you can get it sorted soon.
I haven't read other replies, but yeah the pdga def. of putt is inside 10 M which makes any longest putt contest a moot point unless defined well. IMO it should be a shot subsequent to the tee shot as those become attempts at the chains and the tee shot is typically not (if you play smart). But, if it was undefined in advance I'd say pay it to the ace-man and define it better for the future.
As Tom said, we will be changing the wording. I mean the Ace pool is what was valuable anyway, and Tom took that. The $5 longest putt he and the the rest of us could definately care less about, I mean come on it's $5. If he was really that worried about the money I don't think he or any of us would be playing $1/hole skins. We all have our days.
If it was from the teepad it was a drive, anyting else going in would be a putt.
Thomas Nunn said:
To the people who want to compare it to PGA rules, go to a yard sale and buy some clubs and balls and sell your discs on eBay, This isn't your grandpas game,

I love how you try to ask for an official ruling and then mock the rule book. What is more official than that. As mentioned your problem is in the verbiage. Longest Hole-out would be correct.
Tom just has a sense of humor you are not reading in the type. He is planning on changing the verbiage. He was referring to the people comparing the ruling to PGA- ball golf rules, not the PDGA rules that we use in disc golf. Sorry for any confusion

Chris Taylor said:
Thomas Nunn said:
To the people who want to compare it to PGA rules, go to a yard sale and buy some clubs and balls and sell your discs on eBay, This isn't your grandpas game,

I love how you try to ask for an official ruling and then mock the rule book. What is more official than that. As mentioned your problem is in the verbiage. Longest Hole-out would be correct.
Ahh yes sorry didn't notice the missing D in PGA.
I think he shouldn't get the Money as when you walk upto tee you dont walk up and say this putt is going in Also i dont know to many people who throw thumbers for a putt and he also took out the $100 for a ace already
i agree with Lawrence 'Larry' Leonardi JR

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968