www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Yesterday we were playing a $1/hole skins game at my friends private course. On hole #2 he hit a 210' thumber ace. So he took the ace pool of around $100. When we play skins there we also have longest putt on that basket because it services holes, 2, 9, 11, 16. Longest putt is a paid extra, so everyone who is playing and wants to be included pays an extra $1 for it. It's his course so really he can make the rule what he wants, but he would like a general consensus ruling before he calls what the rule will be. A few were saying it was his first throw but also his last throw on the hole thus being a putt. Some were saying it was thrown from the tee pad so it was just a nice drive that happened to go in, but not a putt. Some said it could be argued that he was outside of 10 meters so it was not a putt. Most tournaments I have played in where there is a longest putt hole, the winner will usually always be outside of ten meters, so I think that theory is out. I have no idea if being thrown from the tee pad makes a difference. Help us out, What do you all think?

here is the link to the video of it:
http://discgolfer.ning.com/video/toms-first-ace

Tags: Ace, Longest, Putt

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good points Jamie. We are trying to define it better, that is the point of this thread. Some days we also do CTP's. This basket services 4 holes, so if it is CTP it is for one hole, if it is for longest putt it is for all 4 holes. We just have not had this happen before.
Somebody made the comment of the long putt having to be with a putter. So does that mean since I putt with an ESP Buzzz that I can never win a long putt contest?
it doesnt sound like a putt to me
I don't know how you define a putt but i do not think you can simply look at the disc thrown. When i throw my putt'r from the tee i say that i am driving with my putt'r and not putting from the tee. Also, if someone makes a 10 foot shot with their driver, I would consider it a putt. If you wanted to specify between longest putt and ace you should add something to the wording of the ruling, such as, "longest shot with a putter", or "longest shot made". I think if the rule is just "longest putt" then it goes to the guy who got the ace.
Has anyone ever seen a longest putt be anything other than the longest shot that went into the basket? Any time any of you were ever throwing at the basket on a "longest putt" hole did you stop and think "I'd better use a putter and a putting motion to make sure this counts."? Everytime I've seen this awarded it has been given to the person that sank the shot from the greatest distance. I would have to say that the overwhelming precedence would be to call it a winner.
I'd prize that out as the longest putt...
I can see the other side, but...

My vote: If it's from the tee pad, it's not a putt. Length of shot is irrelevant.
Ace should be/is totally different than a putt. You gotta seperate em! Congrats to Tom for the pretty Ace!!!
som people putt with drivers and midranges so you can't argue that it wasn't longest putt butt he got the ace pott so i would think that he would be happy or just greedy.
I think the problem is the name of the contest. Since we don't have greens we don't really have putts compared with golf, just shorter throws. If you use the 10m circle as the definition of a putt, then 10m is the longest shot that could be a putt in a "Longest Putt" contest. Now, if the contest is called Longest Holed-out Throw, then an ace also wins that contest. Imagine if there are aces on different holes in the round and you lose that Longest award since your ace was shorter. ;-)
If it is from the teepad, it is not a putt. It is a drive. A putt is something that occurs after the drive. You can't have an ace from a putt. You can have an eagle, a birdie, but not an ace. That is a hole in one, and not a putt, regardless of what the disc was.

Dr. Steve
Yep. I gotta go with this one...

robbax said:
I can see the other side, but...

My vote: If it's from the tee pad, it's not a putt. Length of shot is irrelevant.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968