www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Yesterday we were playing a $1/hole skins game at my friends private course. On hole #2 he hit a 210' thumber ace. So he took the ace pool of around $100. When we play skins there we also have longest putt on that basket because it services holes, 2, 9, 11, 16. Longest putt is a paid extra, so everyone who is playing and wants to be included pays an extra $1 for it. It's his course so really he can make the rule what he wants, but he would like a general consensus ruling before he calls what the rule will be. A few were saying it was his first throw but also his last throw on the hole thus being a putt. Some were saying it was thrown from the tee pad so it was just a nice drive that happened to go in, but not a putt. Some said it could be argued that he was outside of 10 meters so it was not a putt. Most tournaments I have played in where there is a longest putt hole, the winner will usually always be outside of ten meters, so I think that theory is out. I have no idea if being thrown from the tee pad makes a difference. Help us out, What do you all think?

here is the link to the video of it:
http://discgolfer.ning.com/video/toms-first-ace

Tags: Ace, Longest, Putt

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A throw off a tee pad is always a DRIVE, not a putt, even if u throw a putter. C'mon!

If this is not the case, whats the point of having two pools, as an Ace would always take both pools, doesnt make sense to me.
I think since it was on the tee, the "drive" does not count as a putt. He already won the ace cash, share the wealth and leave the longest putt to someone that sinks a Long Putt!!!!!!!!!!
It would seem as though a toss from the tee pad is a drive and not a putt. This should be quite concrete and non-debateable. Even if you threw a putter off the tee it would still be a drive since you threw it from the tee. Disc selection should not be the issue, location of the throw in relatioinship to the basket should. I hate to make this comparison, but it relates in principle; in ball golf they track stats for putting and a hole-in-one would net the player zero putts on the hole.
I have aced a couple holes with a jump putt...wouldn't that be considered a putt? They were both in tournaments and both around 100'!! ;-)

Steve McLean said:
If it is from the teepad, it is not a putt. It is a drive. A putt is something that occurs after the drive. You can't have an ace from a putt. You can have an eagle, a birdie, but not an ace. That is a hole in one, and not a putt, regardless of what the disc was.
Dr. Steve
all about equipment. with that said you guys are probably never going have a concensus(
Chad Curtis said:
We had a similar problem with an ace on the CTP 50/50 hole. I thought my ace would win the ace pool and the CTP since it was pretty damn close to the pin. But another player said an ace does not automatically win the CTP. He said I could get beat by a shot that landed right against the pin.

What?????? An Ace on a CTP hole should win the CTP....no question about it....Think about it.... in Ball Golf if the hole is aced, is it closest to the pin?

Chad you got duped, man!!!!
Hootie said:
A throw off a tee pad is always a DRIVE, not a putt, even if u throw a putter. C'mon!

If this is not the case, whats the point of having two pools, as an Ace would always take both pools, doesnt make sense to me.

I agree with Hootie on this one. I wouldn't consider that a putt.

Hope you all can figure it out.
I would have to agree that if it is thrown from the tee it is a drive.
I throw my putter from the tee on almost any hole under 250'. I would still say that it is a drive even though I am using a putter. There are a few short very tight -200' holes that I use my putter along with a putting form, not a throw. I would still say it is a drive because it was from the tee pad.
On the other hand I have made a few +250' shots not from the tee and I would have to say that i was not 'putting' at the hole. Putting is kind of a hard term to define.

If you follow the pdga rules then yes the longest put you can make is 10 meters.

From the PDGA rule book:
Putt: Any throw from 10 meters or less as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole is considered a putt.
If it is in the basket, you win. I don't give a shot where your fricken shot sits relative to the pole. We are not pole dancin, we are going for the hole. If it is in the hole, it is where we want to be. If you are standing next to the pole, you are not in the hole. enuf said.

donnyv said:
Hootie said:

I agree with Hootie on this one. I wouldn't consider that a putt.

Hope you all can figure it out.
Hello, This is Tom the lucky fella that thru the thumber ace, I might as well chime in, Thanks mike for getting the the discussion going, I will have to first assert case law precedence, Gary threw a disk from that same tee pad to the same Hello, This is Tom the lucky fella that thru the thumber ace, I might as well chime in, Thanks mike for getting the the discussion going, I will have to first assert case law precedence, Gary threw a disk from that same tee pad to the same basket and was awarded the longest putt, it is still written on the pavilion, To the poster that mentioned me being greedy, it is not about 5 dollars, It is about defining rules in a democratic fashion, that is why I asked the other people playing the skins game to rule without my vote and that is why Mike posted it, Whenever there is a dispute Leonard (aka Dr Huge) as he cited during a tournament last week , you follow local course rules that have been established. That is what we are trying to do here, So far I am down by about 4 votes not counting the multiple posts, Case precedence #2, Leonard made a 150 foot + putt on the same basket and won the longest putt, so that would have to rule out the 10 meter rule. As far as the ones who say it has to be a putter thrown then I guess I do not finish out many holes as I putt with a stingray half the time over 20 feet, To the people who want to compare it to PGA rules, go to a yard sale and buy some clubs and balls and sell your discs on eBay, This isn't your grandpas game, By the way, the other 1/2 course owner- administrator-disc golfer-my wife is against me on the ruling, come on, help me out here fellow disc golfers, give me the vote, regards, Tom
Based on your precedents, just officially name the contest Longest Hole-out and you're golden.
Chuck Kennedy said:
Based on your precedents, just officially name the contest Longest Hole-out and you're golden.
Hello, Chuck, we are already going in that direction, thanks for the input,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968