www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

does anybody have to battle poison ivy/oak at their home course? if so how do "you" prevent it

i do and it sucks!!!!    in the "north of charlotte area/statesville, nc" courses it can be all over the place !

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jamie,Is that recipe for killing it on the vine? Or is that for treating the affected area on yourself?

You are right about prevention being the key.  But your post goes downhill fast after that.  There is no need for fancy expensive products.  Just use soap and water, and wash as soon as you can.  I'll explain why, but if you don't like science, you can stop reading now.

"Most surfactants like soap don't work either."

Incorrect.  Urushiol (the oil from poison ivy) is lipophilic.  Lipophilic means "oil-loving" and mostly insoluble in water.  Soap does a fine job of making lipophilic substances water soluble.  It does this by forming micelles, which are basically microscopic droplets which are lipophilic on the interior and hydrophilic on the outside.  That is how soap works for washing dishes or getting grease off your hands.  Washing urushiol off something is no different than washing off olive oil or bacon grease.

"Because the poison is an oil, water just moves it around."..."start sweating and it drips on everything"

Again, incorrect.  A lipophilic substance like urushiol has a very low solubility in water or sweat (which is mostly salt water).  That's the same reason you can't wash off bacon grease in water or saltwater.  The way urushiol transfers is not in sweat, it is by directly smearing it onto clothes, car seats, etc.  That's why you need to wash as soon as you can, to keep from smearing it around all over yourself or your surroundings.

This info is some of what people get in organic chemistry 101, just a basic understanding of how soap works, and the solubility behavior of hydrophilic and lipophilic substances.  If you want to make easy money, Ivy Block and Technu are fine gimmicks to extract large amounts of money from people who have not taken a course in organic chemistry.

Just use soap and water, and wash as soon as you can.  No need to make this expensive or complicated.

Also, if you get into a really bad patch of ivy, wash the shoes (or at least the laces) in soap and water when you get home!  Otherwise you will get it on yourself next time you put on those shoes!
My Doctor told me to keep my disc in the fairway and I wont have a problem. What a prick! lol
Don't play those courses until fall! That's what I do. Just not worth it.
I'm not allergic to it at all. In fact I must have had some on me when I shook this guys hand a while back and within 15 minutes his arm was a red, swollen, itchy mess.

Fortunately I seem to be immune to the stuff,lucky since Florida is a greenhouse for growing anything.

Thanks for the home recipe Jamie.

Seen this Photo on Facebook posted by Leah Taylor.

yup. Tecnu is awesome.

Long pants and be aware of your surroundings. Maybe even bring a pair of gloves for removal from said plants.

"Leaves of three, let them be"!

Close up picture :

Freekin' Cripes, EVERYTHING in Washington looks like THAT!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968