www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

On hole where it is heavily wooded and a small path of entry for a dog leg left, what is the best way to approach the hole, forehand or an anhieser backhand?

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I meant to say Dog leg Right. My apologies
do you have a picture of this hole?

myself would try to forehand it since i have yet to get my anhyzer shot down.
I agree. You might be rewarded more with an accurate side arm bomb, but if you hit the trees and your shot continues right, well good luck getting around that corner now. A safe approach would be a straight shot through the gap that finnishes left at the corner, giving you an easy up shot for par.
For a right handed player, throwing a tight tunnel which breaks to the right, you have a variety of choices, none of them easy.

You could lay up down the middle, leaving a long putt or try something that might actually get close to the metal thing: backhand anhyzer, backhand roller, forehand hyzer or overhead thumber. Depending on the specifics of the line and the tunnel you may fewer choices (some of them may be blocked or unrealistic based on the placement of obstacles).

Most players would choose the backhand anhyzer. While you should try to learn all of the them eventually, you need a well practiced staple for this shot. All of your choices have a small margin of error so diligent practice is the key.

As hard as this shot is, look at the bright side. Most courses will give you more dog leg lefts than rights. If you were a lefty you would have a steady diet of anhyzer lines.

My home course was recently redesigned. One of the new holes is a very tricky anhyzer. Earlier this week, I went out to this hole with a friend and we emptied our bags on it, trying the different routes. It looked like the roller line was the most open but after a half hour of practice drives I figured out that the anhyzer line actually worked the best.

So go to your tricky hole at a time when the course is sparsely occupied and throw it repeatedly. Certain shots you can learn in a field but some shots can only be learned on the hole.
I was going to reply to this topic (I guess I am, but not adding any substance), but you said it all. I just found your final statement to be true the other day on a new course searching for different lines. I guess in the field you learn different shots. On the course you learn to match those shots up to what you see and sometimes say, "I don't have that shot! I'll have to go to the field."
Anny Backhand-with a beat disc that is already an understable mold (Stingrays, Cobras, Leopards....).
This way you can snap off a hyzer shot down the tunnel that will turn right late and get around the corner.
These performance discs are hard to find and hard to keep in your bag....they are the late turning gems for RHBH players.
They are the ugliest discs in your bag, but they make you the most money. When you get control of them and learn the touch (and trust) that it takes, you can get these discs to fly down the tunnel straight, make a right turn and as the spin dies, start flying to the left again. Yummy! Beat Stingray or Cobra.....magical! Players are always asking me "how the heck did you do that"!? Hey, you don't know what you don't know. And....now you know!

I agree, I love my beat up Cobra for right turns.
Depending on the distance, Challenger or an Xpress work for me 99% of the time. I throw primarily RHBH and have a lot of success. I never really got into throwing FH shots because I wanted to work on my backhand. I recently have incorporated FH shots into my bag but still rarely use the shot. Challengers tend to flip late as well leaving me lots of distance before the dog-leg to gain speed and get into the lane and has a deep rim to grab terrain and not slide past. An Xpress will get there just as fast and accurately but will sometimes roll out and away from the target area because of the sharp driver rim depending on the terrain. The Buzzz is another great disc for anhyzer shots. I sometimes throw a Z Buzzz on those types of shots because the plastic is relatively smooth and the rim relatively deep and won't give me the roll-away that the driver may.
Why does every thread become an advertisement for some store? It is so annoying!
This one depends on what I'm looking at on the fairway. I've seen these holes with different configurations: If there is not much space on the left side of the fairway I'd throw an annie, if I had open space on the right, I'd throw a forehand. These answers might change a little depending on the distance from tee to dog leg entry.
Yep, a beat in Leopard is so sweet for anny's.
I completely agree with you dear,
Thanks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968