www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am in the process of starting a league and want to know what are some of the thing you guys like and do not like about yours?

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The fact that nobody helps with course maintenance doesn't surprise me at all. Unless you can get the word out and have a work day that tends to be the case. We had a work day of sorts this year and I think that we got six people. Not sure how to get more people for league. I guess that people here just like to compete so they show up. Especially if they know that there is money to win.
A bag tag league is a good fund raiser for your association and adds a little competition to casual rounds.The league director can have them made for fairly cheap and can be bought in as low a number as 50 or way higher .the website we run our leagues on is discgolfscene.com .if you go to my page on there you can see what the league format and rules are.good luck with your league and keep on hukking
This has been all very helpful. Thank you guys. One more Question...

What should the first event be? Price? Reward? What will make people show up?
the MFA (Minnesota Frisbee Association) does a state wide bag tag system. numerical order from 1 to infinite. iv seen tags in the 600s. Friendly competition. rec rounds, leagues, tournaments. Allowed one challenge a day, winner takes home lower bag tag. no trade for a tie. its a pretty neat idea.

http://mnfrisbee.ning.com/page/bag-tags
You could start with either a singles or a doubles event. Just get everything set up ahead of time and things will go smooth. I always write everything down in a notebook. My left front pocket is for the $5 entry and the right front pocket is for the $1 Ace Pool. That way the two don't get mixed. Post what time the league will start. Just remember that come August you should start scaling the starting time back to 5:30 PM. September will mean a 5:15 starting time and then finally 4:45 at the beginning of October. Generally that's when our summer league ends.

Payouts are based on how many people show up. In doubles we pay first and second place but if we get more than 14 third can get paid as well. First place should be rewarded.

With singles it also matters how many people show up as well. I haven't run singles in a while so I can't really say how many get paid. The winner in A Pool usually gets half of the total (or close to it). I would probably pay the top 25%. So twenty people would be $100 with first taking $45, second $25, third $15,fourth $10 and fifth gets money back. Something along those lines.
We have to go as far as not telling people about work parties and wait till they show up to tell them what we're doing in order to get anybody. Otherwise it is always the same 4-6 people helping out. It pisses me off when you talk to them on the phone or face to face and then they don't show. A lot of times they're the first ones to bitch on a course when something isn't right in their mind. If you didn't help, you don't deserve or have any right whatsoever to bitch about anything.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968