www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If you could pick any player to pair up with for doubles who would you pick?

Tags: disc, doubles, dream, golf, team

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doubles is weird karma and synergy.

Not all good players are good teamates. Not all good players are good partners for someone who is not as good a player.

The key to doubles is to maximize strengths and hide weaknesses and get in a scoring zone. It is a waste for both partners to throw fine drives on one hole if both shank on the next. There are some players who are great putters in doubles but not in singles. There are some players who are inconsistent in singles but superb in doubles. Doubles is more about timing and occasional brilliance than pure consistency.

One of the keys to doubles is that the partners have confidence in each other. It is harder to be a good partner (make clutch shots) if you are the stronger player in a partnership. Being the weaker partner is easier (psychologically) since the pressure is on the better partner to perform. But when the weaker player starts lighting it up it usually inspires the stronger player.

I have always loved doubles and have played in lots of doubles tournaments with lots of different partners. I know that if my partner has little confidence in me then my partner will not shoot well and the team will not play well together. The strange thing to me is that the first tournament a team plays together usually sets the mold whether the team will ever jell. And there is no way to predict which partners will jell together. So choosing the perfect partner is difficult if you have never played with them in doubles before.

Over the years, some of my favorite partners have been Carlton Howard (North Carolina), Kenny Lee (California) and Duster Don Hoffman (Wisconsin). I guess it is no surprise that all of them are great putters.

One of the greatest rounds I ever saw anyone play was the final round of National Doubles (Round Rock, Texas) the year Carlton and I won Pro Masters. Carlton put the team on his shoulders and carried us. Carlton made great shot after great shot and I kept saying, "Great shot, Carlton!" Watching your partner hit every putt for three hours, under pressure, in big wind, is phenomenal.

My hottest doubles round in Michigan probably was playing the Toboggan (Milford) with Critter Bill Themm. We shot a 7 down (47). I only recall the score because it is posted on the chalkboard at White's Acres. Critter couldn't miss a drive and I couldn't miss a putt.

My favorite doubles tournament is the Big Chill in Milwaukee, Wisconsin every year, run by Joe Weinshel and Tom Holsten. It is the only tournament I have never missed since I started playing. Maybe Duster and I can keep up our streak.
Clint Eastwood or Gordon Gecko.
I really appreciate the kind words.

Red Line Disc Golf said:
My money is on Avery Jenkins if given the choice, backhand, sidearm, putts, even a thumber when its called for, dudes the package! Not to mention I've been told he's one of the coolest guys on the tour!
Doesnt matter who so long as we win.
Anyone Because Im the Best Partner out there. LOL LOL LOL
mark ellis said:
Doubles is weird karma and synergy.

Not all good players are good teamates. Not all good players are good partners for someone who is not as good a player.

The key to doubles is to maximize strengths and hide weaknesses and get in a scoring zone. It is a waste for both partners to throw fine drives on one hole if both shank on the next. There are some players who are great putters in doubles but not in singles. There are some players who are inconsistent in singles but superb in doubles. Doubles is more about timing and occasional brilliance than pure consistency.

One of the keys to doubles is that the partners have confidence in each other. It is harder to be a good partner (make clutch shots) if you are the stronger player in a partnership. Being the weaker partner is easier (psychologically) since the pressure is on the better partner to perform. But when the weaker player starts lighting it up it usually inspires the stronger player.

I have always loved doubles and have played in lots of doubles tournaments with lots of different partners. I know that if my partner has little confidence in me then my partner will not shoot well and the team will not play well together. The strange thing to me is that the first tournament a team plays together usually sets the mold whether the team will ever jell. And there is no way to predict which partners will jell together. So choosing the perfect partner is difficult if you have never played with them in doubles before.

Over the years, some of my favorite partners have been Carlton Howard (North Carolina), Kenny Lee (California) and Duster Don Hoffman (Wisconsin). I guess it is no surprise that all of them are great putters.

One of the greatest rounds I ever saw anyone play was the final round of National Doubles (Round Rock, Texas) the year Carlton and I won Pro Masters. Carlton put the team on his shoulders and carried us. Carlton made great shot after great shot and I kept saying, "Great shot, Carlton!" Watching your partner hit every putt for three hours, under pressure, in big wind, is phenomenal.

My hottest doubles round in Michigan probably was playing the Toboggan (Milford) with Critter Bill Themm. We shot a 7 down (47). I only recall the score because it is posted on the chalkboard at White's Acres. Critter couldn't miss a drive and I couldn't miss a putt.

My favorite doubles tournament is the Big Chill in Milwaukee, Wisconsin every year, run by Joe Weinshel and Tom Holsten. It is the only tournament I have never missed since I started playing. Maybe Duster and I can keep up our streak.

On the other hand, if you don't have the time or want to spend the effort to do an evaluation of this sort, take Scott Stokely pre-injury. Scott quite dominated world-doubles for some time and wrote the original treatise on techniques. He had two strengths, an ability to asses play and advise, and an ability to throw every kind of shot ever invented... very well. He was a top Pro with an ability to teach and mentor.
Too many Great players to choose from. First is Chemistry !!!!! You have to have it !!!!!! Your partner will be comfortable with you and play well !!!!! It also helps if you are BOTH ON !!!!!!
mikey randolph!!!!!!!
What was Scott Stokely's injury? he seems to throw just fine in his you tube video.

On the other hand, if you don't have the time or want to spend the effort to do an evaluation of this sort, take Scott Stokely pre-injury. Scott quite dominated world-doubles for some time and wrote the original treatise on techniques. He had two strengths, an ability to asses play and advise, and an ability to throw every kind of shot ever invented... very well. He was a top Pro with an ability to teach and mentor.
oh yeah, and I pick Kevin McCoy
Schweb cuz he's good, fun to play with and easy to talk to.
I would have to say Dave Feldberg.I caught a rouned with him and Rich Givens at Pymatuning last summer before the worlds.He was doing photos and interview for the F.D.M. mag. Great person overall

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968