www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

The following situation came up in our random draw doubles league last night and I was wondering how other leagues handle playoffs. Two teams were tied after 18 holes so they had a sudden death playoff. Normally the ace fund is in play in playoffs. One individual wanted to play hole 1 and then 7 and 8 if needed (this is a short loop). On the course we were at hole 2 is by far the most difficult hole and most playoffs end there and this hole has never been aced. Holes 7 and 8 have been aced repeatedly - they are short and very easy. I said if we don't play the normal course we shouldn't play for the ace fund. The reason being it wouldn't be fair to just throw the short easy holes. The individual in question didn't want to play hole two because it was a farther walk from our cars and he was tired so after bitching about not being able to play for the ace fund we agreed to play the short loop. We ended up playing the short loop and then playing two long holes before the tie was broken with him bitching most of the way.

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is a tough one. I believe that the ace pool should stay in play because league is continuing until there is a winner. But what holes should then be played in a playoff? Personally I believe that you should start on the first hole and go until the tie is broken. If you always do it like that then there can be no questions.
If those holes(7 & 8 ?)  quoted "they are short and very easy"!!!! Why was the ace not hit then!?!?!?!  It should still be in affect!!!! It always has, correct!?!?!? And always will!!!! Just play it!! It could be you hitting it!!!!
Dan always wins ace pot lol

I say make them play 1-2-3-4... Because when I was in the same situation there we played 1-7-8-9-18. Basicly it's a shorter walk from 2 back to the cars then playing 1-7-8-9 and walking back from 9 where the playoff would more then often end. If they got a problem with it I will cone up there and win all the doubles league money ;). Keep it up Dan if it wasn't for you there would be no league there.

Why would your league allow for the Ace pool to be "in play" for a playoff in the first place?  The ace pool should only be up for grabs during the regulation round period. Why? ....Simple......does everyone participating that day have the same chance or number of attempts at hitting an Ace during a playoff?  No they don't.

Keep it simple by only allowing the pool to be in effect during the regulation round.

I agree with Jamie for the same reason he posted, equal opportunity.

Leagues should have a pre-determined order of holes for tie-breakers.  Aces aside, not having one opens up to debate and hard feelings as people campaign for longer holes, shorter holes, lefty holes, rightly holes, whatever suits their game best; or worse, safari holes than only some are familiar with.

We went away from allowing the ace pool to be won in playoffs, though on most courses the odds are quite remote that it will matter. 

There is also the posibility of shenanigans if you allow the ACE POOL to remain in effect for the playoff.  Let's say that the ACE POOL is $200-$500 or so.  The people involved can come to an agreement where they will intentionally push every hole after their drives do not hit an ACE.  Split four ways, $200-$500 is $50-$125 each...probably much better than the actual dubs payout.  They could keep the shenanigans up until they grew tired of trying or darkness set in.  That is why we do not allow ACE POOLs to remain in effect for any playoff here in STL.
agree 100%, no ace pool during a playoff, hit it during the regular round if you want the cash.
Actually I turned it over to Bill in April because I knew I wouldn't be there for a while and I was voted in as v.p. of our club in Terre Haute so I didn't want there to be a conflict of interest. Donald's game improved and Charlie got mad  because Donald was still playing in C pool. Bill made Donald move up to B pool and Donald, R.H. and Dennis got mad. So Bill got tired of the b.s. and turned it over to R.H. last week. R.H. didn't say anything about the playoff, playing the holes in order was the way we did it last year and since I'm not really running it I didn't feel like I could say we have to play the holes in order but I didn't think it fair to play for the ace fund by skipping the hardest hole either. BTW it was one of our guys from T.H. doing the bitching.
Wow sounds like things are going crazy there. Maybe it's time to suggest random draw doubles and do away with the A-B-C pool deal. I'm having issues getting mine going here, there is one guy at my skill and everybody else is rec players. So this one guy cries the whole time if he picks a bad partner lol. Then twice he's quit in the first 9 because it started raining. So now I have to make a call if Im going to allow there money back if it rains.
We have always allowed for ace pool to be in play during a playoff but it has never been an issue. And our playoffs always start on the first hole and continue sequentially until the tie is broken. In fifteen years nobody has ever hit an ace during a playoff. My thoughts are that league is not over until a winner is declared. Ace pool is valid for that round which includes any playoffs. I do see the other side of things however. I guess that as long as everyone understands the rules there should be no confusion. That may mean that it should be announced beforehand.

And we don't allow people to whine about partners or the weather. If you feel like whining then I suggest you don't show up!

"And we don't allow people to whine about partners or the weather. If you feel like whining then I suggest you don't show up!"

Guessing that was a response to my post, there is a Very small group of players down here. That guy and 2-3 friends of his show up every week. So if I lose them I almost have no league. Most we have had was 9 players, with an avg of 7. So until the area grows in numbers of disc golfers. I'm kinda stuck playing with the guy. Don't get me wrong He's a nice guy, just whines to much for me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968