www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I can throw a forehand 250' on average and probably 350' on a good throw that 'S' out, but I'm terribly inconsistent. I recently figured out that I was keeping my wrist too stiff and thus not getting enough snap, so I am rapidly improving now. Now I feel my problem is releasing the disc level. I have found that a Star Boss works well for me because I can release it on a fairly drastic anhyzer and it tends to level itself out, so it gives me some room for error.

My questions is, what discs tend to be good for this? A disc that I can put on a drastic angle and it will level out? Ideally (I played baseball) I'm looking for a disc I can thrown forehand at like a 3/4th arm angle like a pitcher. I think I've seen on some discussion about a disc this is possible with but can't find it. Any suggestions?

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Star Monster is the most perdictable sidearm disc I've used. It will always hook the way it should. Unless u hook it anny so hard it hits the ground before it has time to come back. It doesn't go as fare as a Destroyer or anything, but it will always hook the way it should.

Also Gateway's drivers are massively overstable and work well for this. Especially Spirit and Speed Demon (my opinion their most overstable drivers, probably the most overstable drivers on the market period). Both so overstable that they don't hook, the whole disc comes up from shot to pull over to hook. Massively overstable.

Innova I would say Monster, Discraft Force (best results for me, other then Pulse, but Pulse's overstablity goes away very quickly). A Star Destroyer max weight will go forever sideram, but harder to control.
Also most people find flatter top discs work better for sidearm, like the TeeRex/Xcaliber or Crush/flat top Z Force. Gateway Speed Demon's are also fairly flat top.
Try a pulse they are great forehand discs but the main thing to remember is not to roll your wrist over which will result in 500 ft rollers which has been my prob lately lol didnt know a force could be a good roller
If you are committed to a 3/4's delivery then you need a crazy overstable disc to overcome the anhyzer release angle you are using. With a 3/4's delivery the only shots you can expect to throw are an "S" curve or a roller.

In the Discraft Clinic on Anhyzer Shots, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAy5RMfufnI,
At 2:20 to 2:50, three different Pros throw a forehand drive with a 3/4's arm angle. Each of the shots turns into a roller because that motion forces a disc into a severe anhyzer.

Look at the same question from a backhand delivery- the mirror image of what you are doing. From that motion (3/4 angle) the shot will be a roller unless you throw a massively overstable disc and it "S's" back out. But the odds are that when you backhand a typical shot you throw it pretty darn flat because that causes the shot to fly flat.

Whether you are throwing backhand, forehand, overhead or any other way, you need to be able to modify your form based on the exact line you need to throw. You don't throw with just one motion backhand and cannot do so either with forehands.

The starting point for developing good form is throwing flat, smooth and balanced. Even if it feels more natural for you to do something else, if you are not throwing flat then nothing is going to be easy.

Forehands are much more difficult to master than backhands because the margin of error on a forehand is smaller, meaning that if you miss your release angle by just a bit the result is way off. Therefore forehands require a lot of practice. The easiest forehand disc to throw is the disc which flies straight and flat when you release it flat.

Which disc flies best for you depends on your individual characteristics: your form and power. Your form and power will change throughout your playing career so your favorite discs will change as well.

The discs I know best are made by Discraft, my sponsor. If you took a Crush, Surge, Surge SS and a Flash (these are all discs from the same family, the same basic shape, varying mainly in stability levels) out to a field, one of them is going to work best for you when you throw it flat. Which one works best depends on you.
Honestly, what works for me may not work for you, it's best to try discs for yourself to find out what works best for your style.
I go less stable: Valks and SLs. Maybe even a TL for shorter shots.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968