www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So have you noticed how much elevation affects the flight of your disc? I know some of you guys that play worlds or tour a lot, have noticed the difference. I was thinking about this because of all the talk on here about how far some people claim to throw certain discs or low scores on long courses in areas with high elevation.

Here in Michigan the elevation is between 500-1000 feet in the Lower Peninsula, lowest being at the southeast part of the state near Lake Erie. Now, I have played in Las Vegas where the elevation is 2028 feet, and man did I feel huge throwing out there. I was overthrowing baskets that were 450’ until I realized there is a pretty big elevation difference and I should disc down to a midrange. I played in Denver Colorado area, where the elevation is 5183 feet, and I could throw a Wasp like 400+, CRAZY! My friend from Denver was here visiting over New Years and when we went and played, he was trying to throw mids at baskets that were around 400' and he was not coming close, then he finally thought about the elevation difference when I said somthing about it.

This next Worlds is in Kansas City where the elevation is 740 feet. This is very similar to what I’m used to but some others may be hating life that are from higher elevations. They are going to feel like someone taped lead weights on their discs.

So what are your feelings on this subject? What’s your elevation? I have never really thought about it when I disc golf, but on here when I hear some of the distances people throw it all makes sense.

Tags: affects, change, elevation, of

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess the humidity really depends on what month and time of the day you play, anywhere. When I was in denver I played once and it was in the morning in September and there was humidity (moisture) in the air even though I was in elevation. After all, what is snow on a mountain considered? Basically it is possible to have a mixture of moisture in thin air these two in combination with one another will make a disc fly further. Check out this link I found for average relative % huidity, by the month across the US.
http://ggweather.com/ccd/avgrh.htm
Thanks for the info!! I was wondering this question myself. It all makes sense now. I'll save my really understable discs for times like these when I head to the mountains. Very good information in this thread.
PoeticLogic: Humid air is leass dense than dry air. This is why you have sunny skies when it is a high pressure system (less water vapor), and rainy days when it is low pressure. When you go to altitude there is less oxygen in the air, making it less dense. The same happens when there is more moisture in the air. Water vapor weighs less than oxygen does in a gas. The oxygen gets pushed out. This makes the air less dense and the disc fly further no matter the elevation. It also applies to baseballs, footballs, golf balls, and on and on...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968