www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Due to where I live I'm not able to practice this much so I'm looking from some advice from those of you with more experience. Thanks in advance for any tips/help that you have.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you talking from course to course/city to city or are you talking about on individual holes?

Im looking for tips on what and how to throw with elevation changes, up and down hill.

uphill - it's good to throw understable discs with some height. let the disc travel back there, not get there and fall. a lighter disc or anything with good glide makes this easier.

downhill - stable and overstable discs are more predictable because it can be hard to tell how the wind/changing elevation/changing air conditions from the hill will affect the disc as it falls. there are a lot more unpredictable factors throwing downhill. understable discs are still an option though and can produce massive drives, especially downwind

What he said.

I'll add that, for big downhill throws, throw downhill.  It may seem obvious, but I see people throw straight out off a big hill; the disc ends up very high off the ground, stalls and falls hard.  There's more distance if you throw, more or less, along the grade.

The way it works for me is throw disc into hillside,repeat,repeat,repeat, make double bogey putt, walk away.
Sounds like me.haha
If you have a practice basket, set it up on a picnic table or a set of sawhorses to practice putting uphill.

Some tasks need to be learned by doing, including throwing up and down hills.

It would be difficult to learn how to swim or ride a bike or give a speech in front of a large audience without actually doing it.

In disc golf you cannot just imagine hills or strong winds or playing a final nine in front of a big gallery and be properly prepared for the real thing.  You must do it to understand it.

Playing hills is not just throwing up or down.  It is also throwing from lies which themselves angle up or down or on sidehills to basket locations which are up or down or on sidehills: then factoring in distances and winds.

Of course, once you throw those shots you must also make putts which may be up, down or sidehill and worry about drop-offs and roll-aways.

So throwing with elevation changes is just like throwing on flat land but harder and more complex.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968