www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If you've ever seen 'expertvillage's disc golf videos on Youtube, you'll understand what I'm about to post.  If you haven't seen them, here's a prime example:

Note the disc hitting the tree, the awkward stammering and the fact that they KEEP THE TAKE.

Here is my own twist on the 'expertvillage' formula, in which they make videos that just describe discs (often incorrectly) and don't throw them.  My hand got in the way, but I chuck the disc in a panic right into my shed, that's the metallic clank at the end.

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen that first video a hand full of times. But I have never watched the entire thing.  Thanks to your post up I just had a real good laugh.

"instead of using our fingers, we're gonna use our thumb" ... ...

-- this is a disc golf video right?

-- said that.

-- perfected that one already. thanks expertvillage

Ohhhh that Wahoo is good stuff..... When the water drops hit it it will glide more....Freaking priceless. Had to watch it twice to make sure I heard you right LMAO

there's this one video that's actually helpful, but in the middle of it the guy grabs a golf club to demonstrate body weight/momentum, and he has it in clear view and says "this is a golf club".  It's so friggin' funny.

It's exactly 5:00 minutes in lol

This guy's videos helped me tremendously since I've only been playing a little over 2 months and have no real experienced players in my area to learn from, but he is boooooring. 

There's a lot of good informative videos on YouTube, but these expertvillage clowns are all over, with their pointless videos.  One of the guys has a paralyzing social anxiety, he is hard to watch.  You just want to be able to yell, "You shouldn't be doing this for so many reasons!".
Is that Jonny Roc From Eugene OR?
I know this guy, John Stone aka Jonny Roc, I have played a few rounds with him.
I know the guy is from Eugene.  People in the comment threads have said they know him and he's pretty good.  He does make a LOT of pointless videos, and the classic 'thumber' vid.  He is definitely the better of the expertvillage dg'er on YouTube, the others make him look like a demigod.  He seems like a guy I'd like to play a round with but no one needs videos where you just describe a disc lol.  Innovadiscs.com - it's there, we got it.  I appreciate the effort but as a person who loves disc golf but doesn't have access to truly experienced players within a 2 hour radius, I sadly have to rely on experimentation and the internet for most of my information on technique and these expertvillage vids, because they are a copyrighted entity, hoard views from the more helpful videos.  I don't know how much time I wasted watching these videos before I realized they were just laughable.  I do feel my approach is more humorous and lighthearted than lighting up the comment thread with racist and homophobic slurs like 90% of their audience seems to think is fitting.  Anyways, it's nothing personal against Jonny or his game.  It is really funny that he kept that take in the thumber video, though lol.
Yeah,  The 3rd vid is Brad Walker from DGR.  His 2 videos and Dan Beto's driving vid are a great start. Also Feldberg's Tip on Grip Video.  With that set you'll be okay for a bit.

Yup, I'd recommend starting with reading this:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/distancesecrets.sh...

Then watch Feldberg's video, then Brad's, then Beto's.  I started out having only watched Beto's and his focus on the quick acceleration and how he makes it look so powerful = well, it made me hurt my shoulder.  It was almost very serious, if I had kept playing like that the doc told me I'd have torn my rotator cuff easy.  He gave me some range-of-motion exercises and some muscle relaxers and told me flat out to knock off whatever I was doing.  A beginner in an area not cultured in disc golf can't take a lot away from Beto's video unless they already are knowledged about the bent-elbow technique, grip and snap.  Once they learn a bit though it's a great video, Beto is the man.  If he still plays his homestate courses I might have to travel north and learn a few things.

Even when I was starting out and trying to find new info, I didn't watch these vids from expertvillage...they mean well, but it isn't good video.
Those expert village videos are a joke.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968