www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Won league doubles tonight. I did have a good partner, yet I also made some good shots and made a few putts that he missed. And I had a good philosophy which I learned while watching the Masters yesterday.

The Masters yesterday turned out to be a battle royale, one of the best Masters of all time. And while it wasn't great that Rory McIlroy blew a four stroke lead, it was great in that maybe seven different golfers were vying for the lead at some time or another. And while it was going on I remember the announcer saying something about making or missing a shot. You acknowledge both of them. It could go either way and then you accept it in either case. And I learned from doing that. Accepting that you could miss a shot as well as make a shot frees you up from the pressure and allows you to just make the shot. There is no harm either way. You will still get up in the morning, you will still go to bed at night. You will still breath in the air around you. So there is no pressure and it allowed me to make the shots. I did miss one putt that probably should have been made but in the end it didn't matter because I did make the very next putt. And we won.

Relax. Don't worry. Just make the shot. Failure is an option but who cares. Success is an option as well.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point, but it's a fine line between acceptance and giving in. However I get were your coming from, if you don't let it go. It can follow you and snowball.

Man I felt for Rory, especially when he hoooked it left and just put his head in his hands....Man, none of us could fathom the pressure he must have been under. Poor kid...

I saw later how he let it get to him. He messed up one putt on a green and then missed another in frustration. He let it get to him. And that is the part of the game he will have to learn. How to accept when things go wrong and move on. And he was under a lot more pressure than myself in league. But the opposite of that was Luke Donald who put one in the water and then kept fighting back. On the last hole he hit the flag stick with a second shot and it trickled off of the green. So he accepted that and proceeded to sink a chip.

All in all the Masters was historic and awesome yesterday and I learned something that I put to use with a win. Disc golf is a head game as well just obviously not on the same scale. But I just wasn't worried about missing tonight and that relaxed me and allowed me to make some nice shots.
It also helps when you have a good partner

Yes it does. But there was no carrying tonight. I even parked two holes back to back. The first was one where everyone hyzers around trees to the hole. But there is also a narrow line straight up the gut between two trees maybe four to five feet apart. I put it right through that gap even though there was a possibility that I could miss and hit one of those trees. I would have been OK with that but the park job and birdie felt better.

But yes, having a good partner is generally a good thing. At least as long as the two of you can play well together.

Ball golf and disc golf are MAJOR head games. To have such a tight focus for a few hours stretch requires intense concentration. More than any other sport/game imo.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968