www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

i've been playing for almost two years now. am i correct in the assumption that a fairway driver is meant for teeing off accurately, such as a wooded course? i always thought that meant on very long holes, for really long upshots. doing some research i found that it possibly means for accuracy drives, where you have to "hit" fairways. also, could i get some posts of your favorite fairway drivers to use on different types of holes?

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use fairways... love them in fact. Star Leopard, Z Stalker and Champ Teebird (never leave home without 'em).
for myself normally i'm not far enough to use a fairway driver, but there are the cases to which i release to early or late and the drive was no good and i'm to close for another distance drive but to far for a mid range, depending on the fairway drivers you get, i would suggest have at least one with you for the "just in case" moments, i know it may take up an extra spot in the bag but i find it useful

but as far as teeing off with it, like it was stated before, safest=slowest that would hit chains
good point rescue.
I use my beat in star tl for 250+ approach shots, it has really predictable fade and flys pretty straight .I use a champ teebird for hyser shots .pull out the fairway drivers when you dont think the buzz or roc will reach the basket without you over cranking the disc and flippping it .I'm not comfortable yet with throwing a buzz over 300 ft in a controlled manner so i reach for a fairway driver.good luck and keep on huckin.
There's a discussion thread going on right now to explain this to you. You should find all the info you want on what "flippy" means here: http://www.discgolfersr.us/forum/topics/what-does-it-mean-when-people
i use a z xl, esp stalker, esp surge, and a star teebird
Wow I guess I WILL provide useful input here.....

A fairway driver is a disc within the speed range of 6-9. That being said, when you do not need to bomb a drive, then you throw a fairway driver. I would not say fairway drivers are for accuracy, rather just shorter holes on "tweener shots" where you have to choose between fairway or midrange. I throw fairways on holes from 270-315 or so. I can throw my buzzz 300 but that is with a harder pull and is often inconsistent. There are overstable, stable, and understable fairway drivers.

I prefer the Champion Leopard, Elite Z XS, and Champion Banshee.
I'm all about the Champ Teebird, Champ TL, Stalker, and Leopard.
I carry xls, stalkers,& talons. My fastest discs are avengers.
I use fairway drivers for distance control. If im tee'ing off on a 300 ft. hole, I would rather throw my full throw with a teebird, than an akward 1/2 power throw with a boss. This keeps my throwing motion consistent, and I am just changing the disc. Fairway drivers aren't any more accurate than distance drivers, they just don't go as far. That said, you can use fairway drivers anytime the distance (or lack of) calls for it, it doesn't matter if you're teeing off or approaching.

Just as I have a range of stabilities for my distance drivers, I also have a range of stabilities for my fairway drivers, e.g., (xcal/boss/roadrunner -- banshee/teebird/leopard). I would base accuracy according to stability, not distance. I consider more overstable discs to be more accurate simply because they are more predictable.

Although the teebird is probably my favorite fairway driver, the Squall is a close second. The Squall is technically classified as a midrange, but it is definitely on the faster end of the midrange Spectrum. I consider the the Squall to be a hybrid disc between a midrange and a driver. I think you would especially appreciate the driver-like feel and grip since you don't like the feel of traditional midrange discs. From what I gather from your post, I think the Squall would serve perfectly as your midrange/fairway driver. It has moderate overstability, and really holds a line well. I hope this helps answer your question.

-Rob
My Leopard was my first real driver, when i started was throwing it longer than the distance drivers. Been playing for 4 months now and I have discs that i throw further now... Fact was i wasnt getting up to the speeds that the longer drivers required. But built up a repoire with the Leopard and have learnt to flip it really well. So personally I use it on Right Dog leg holes. I might sacrifice 10 metres (30 feet) but its worth it for the consistancy i get out the disc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968