www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've seen a few forum discussions like this on other sites...maybe there's already one here but I thought I'd try to get one started. 

After branching outside of Innova discs here and there, I found myself wanting a more detailed rating system. I started using Joe's Universal Flight Chart, but found it a little awkward to follow. Then I stumbled on Altitude Disc Golf's Universal Flight Chart...it's got the majority of current discs all translated into Innova's rating system! I love it, anyone else have a favorite??

Tags: chart, flight, universal

Views: 1246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you are my hero! why this isn't something that is standardized across the industry is beyond me. and as a pretty new player it can all be a bit daunting.

I feel the exact same way! There are a few brands that seem to use the same ratings, I think most of them happen to be the same brand though (Innova & Discmania for instance) not sure about West Side Discs...

Marshall Streets flight guide is my favorite chart. it is really simple to use(idiot proof) and has all the discs in order of speed and then overstable, to stable, to understable. check it out

I don't believe flight charts. The only way to really know what a disc does is to throw it. It can be a basis for disc comparisons but in the end they don't always fly the way the chart suggests. For example the King is way more understable than a Vulcan yet the chart will say the opposite.

I did see the chart at Altitude Discs.

Marshall Street's chart makes the most sense--the Innova rating system is convoluted and confusing and the primary reason I don't care for the Altitude chart--I like how the boys at Marshall Street put the discs into laymen terms

Yes I am at altitude. However, I find the King in VIP plastic to be more understable than the Vulcan. The Vulcan has a turn rating of -4 while the King is only a -1. According to those numbers the Vulcan should be more understable. I had to switch down to a lighter weight Vulcan (161 g.) in order to get it to flip over for me . The king and Medusa tend to flip over easier for me and stay over especially in any headwind. The Vulcan always comes back a bit at the end and for me flies very similar to my Lemon Lake Katana. All of these discs are very slight variations on a theme. These charts can give you a basis for making a disc decision but until you throw a disc you won't know what it really does.

Another disc with similar numbers is the Legacy Rampage. I want to get one just to be the first person around here to have one. Another disc with almost identical numbers to the aforementioned discs (14, 5, -1, 4). But how does it really fly?

I agree with what you mean to an extent but still the numbers do provide a personal standard.. I mean after throwing a beast for a while, I know what 10, 5, -2, 2 means TO ME.. so having a standardized chart of numbers is actually very useful in making sure my wife doesn't flip out after I buy alot of discs that aren't what I wanted.

one thing that I am thankful for as a new player is the wealth of information on the interwebz. IE. this forum :)

Even so they still list the King as more stable than the Vulcan. It just isn't true.

I figured out what the King really is by throwing it myself and also having a few other people chuck it. That way I am not relying only on my throws to get an opinion. I let my big arm friend chuck the King and for him it went out about two hundred feet before hyzer flipping and staying right. Fast as $hit but maybe not for everyone if you can't control an understable disc like that. Another friend (older guy like me) loved the King because of its high speed and how easy it is to throw.

In the end these charts do give us a basis and some information when we try to get that next best disc. But there is nothing like personal experience.

I don't have a favorite chart, but the listings on the Disc Golf Center website that pop up with each disc are really nice. I find them to be accurate enough to make an intelligent purchase. I also have come to the understanding that the stability rating from company to company doesn't always vary because of flight chart differences or opinion.

For example, the Vulcan (Innova) when thrown from a high arm slot across the chest, will act like a Vulcan. The King (Lat64/Westside) when thrown in the high arm slot like a Vulcan, will be flip city. The King will become more stable when thrown in the European way in which it was designed for from a lower arm slot, more towards your waist.

Some discs from European companies even have a slanted rim so you can get more on top of them with your grip. Discmanias + discs have it, and Lat64's Halo has it.

Charts won't tell you how your idiosyncratic throwing style and snap will affect the discs; instead they provide a logical starting point to purchase discs--and most of the time, King vs. Vulcan excluded, the chart is spot on.

I don't think it's in the best interest of individual companies to use the same flight rating systems.  They want you to buy and try their discs, if a disc from Discraft had the exact same rating as a disc from Innova people would be less inclined to try both.

That being said, I like Discraft's one number stability system along with the distance label (mid-range, max distance driver, etc.)

I have a Rampage and they are a bit overstable. Between a Star Boss and an Ape.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968