www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What is the difference other than the brands? Is one easier for a noob? Is one better in a headwind? Thanks.

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I totally agree that the firebird is not intended for noobs ,i bought a 11 time flattop firebird from dave feldberg this summer and that thing is stupid overstable (i would say it's the most overstable in my bag ) I use it for back hand spike hysers and what a friend calls the lazy forehand approach throw .I dont throw it as often as i should due to the nature of who i got the disc from and ruining his autograph that is on it ,but it is extremley reliable and money in the wind .I used it today in high winds and never worried that it wouldnt come back in the headwind.if you want a easier disc for a noob steer them towards a FL which is a firebird hybride that is less overstable and easier to control.
Hands down the Firebird for me. Very consistant old school CE FX, a couple aces with the bird.
the firebird is my favorite driver. even if you cant throw it you should hold on to it because you use it eventully it goes farther than a flick and is one of the best discs availible. the flick is more of a situation disc.
Both are extremely over-stable discs.
That way they can absorb the power of a sidearm shot.
The sidearm shot adds extra spin to the disc and the gyroscopic force is making the disc flip over (left).
Using a disc that fights this will offset the gyroscopic pull and straighten the disc out.
Eventually as the spin dies the disc will fade off naturally creating the helix or S-Curve shot that glides and gets distance.
Throwing these discs backhand into a headwind works the same way.
The headwind will make a disc flip over to the right, hard.
Use a disc that is Over-Stable and has a hard pull to the left and the offset will give you a nice straight shot.
You need to trust that this is all going to happen, but once you get the feeling, it works every time!
Field work. Field Practice. Go throw in an open field. Go to a field to practice, learn, and increase your stamina. Go.
I just bought my first Firebird and love it so far. I've only thrown it a few times but my playing partner uses them all the time. He's a very powerful player that learned how to throw his distance with tips from Climo. He throws his Champion Firebird over 400 ft and it will do whatever he wants it to do. So far I've been surprised at the distance I'm getting with this over stable driver.

Question. Is the Firebird the old Phenix re-tooled?
We have 11X Flat Firebirds at www.lsdiscs.com for anyone who's interested!!
Flick!!!
The predator is more like the firebird as far as feel, flight, and overall similarities in my opinion. I used to throw the flat 11x firebird x for bomb thumbers, but they are getting increasingly harder to find. Switched my entire bag to discraft after the Willamette Open in Oregon, the pred is a great disc, and loads easier to get than the good fbirds.

J
I think my max weight Star FBs are less overstable than the 150 ESP Flick that I have. I LOVE FIREBIRDS and rely on them for many of the tee shots I throw on my local courses. If I had to make a three disc bag, the FB would have a spot.
FIREBIRD FIREBIRD FIREBIRD FIREBIRD FIREBIRD FIREBIRD FIREBIRD FIREBIRD FIREBIRD FIREBIRD.... DISCRAFT SUCKS!!! No, but seriously, the Firebird is so accurate, I can't imagine anything from Discraft comparing. You can either throw one or the other.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968