www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I was hurling one of my Rocs against a brick wall a few too many times and I guess it got tacoed pretty bad on the same spot multiple times. Anyway it developed a very small crack. I took a hanger and a lighter and burned the plastic back together then sanded it to be the same as the rest of the disc.

Is this legal for pdga play?

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nope!

Could you possibly quote a section of the rules instead of just saying "nope"!

Here's what I read: 

B. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. A disc which is cracked during a round may be carried by the player, but not used, for the balance of the tournament. The player must immediately declare his intention to carry the newly cracked or broken disc to the group or be subject to penalty under 802.01 E.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

Since my disc is neither cracked nor has it had postproduction changes to alter the flight characteristics I would think it's alright.

As you said: "it developed a very small crack"

Rule states: B. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal.

Disc is illegal for tournament play. Melting the plastic would be a post production modification.

That would be a no.
Well, it is no longer cracked which means B. wouldn't apply.

As far as C. It says changes that "alter their original flight characteristics". Does sealing a crack and sanding it smooth qualify?

I would say no, it's not legal anymore.  once you cracked it, it was done for, I'm fairly certain that melting it back together is not all to legal for tourney play either.But let's all wait for Chuck to chime in and give the offical ruleing.

For the sake of this discussion if the shoe was on the other foot and you noticed some using a putter with dog bites in it would you call him out on it? 

The way I am reading it, once it cracked, it is no longer valid for Tourney play. No matter what was done post crack. Just how I am reading it.... Sorry to hear your Roc busted.

Two letter answer is still..No.

hang it on the wall;>}

ha ha ha! this has got to be the funniest discussion i've come across. first off, throwing your disc into a brick wall! i'm sure you were trying to break it in, but man, what a funny start! then you back up your "fixing" of the disc with the rules! no disrespect man, it's just really funny that you read it that way.

hey, maybe you're right though. people put their discs on their dash with the hot defogger on. people sand the gouges out of their edges. you could make a case that what you did is on a similar level.

let's hear what chuck has to say though

I'm still reading this sentence "A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal." It doesn't say a disc that has been cracked or perforated is illegal, it says that if it is.

And if I saw someone with visible holes in their disc I would probably say something. However the result on this disc is basically a small rough looking area that could have been caused by hitting a tree. There's no actual cut in it anymore.

I will admit I am rather remiss to give up my beat in roc :-P

It's not funny losing your most beat in roc, ya bastard. :)

And honestly based on how the rules were written I don't see where I could be in the wrong. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968