www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I was hurling one of my Rocs against a brick wall a few too many times and I guess it got tacoed pretty bad on the same spot multiple times. Anyway it developed a very small crack. I took a hanger and a lighter and burned the plastic back together then sanded it to be the same as the rest of the disc.

Is this legal for pdga play?

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's funny when you lose it by throwing it at a brick wall!

Haha the brick wall is the sickest rough to play out of

i think when you melted the plastic with a lighter, it became a post-production modification. it's a close call because there are things that people do to their discs to make them become more pliable, but i'm not sure if it's on quite the same level that a lighter and hanger sealing is.

Yeah this was very targeted and it has had 0 effect on the disc flexibility/shape/flight path. 

Would love to hear from someone who knows for sure.

Ask Chuck Kennedy. 

Survey Saaaaaaaayyyyyyys........No!

You should have kept it between you, the Roc and the wall. HA!

Now that you shared all the gruesome details of purposely throwing it into a brick wall...(I can't completely wrap my head around throwing any disc into a wall...let alone...a Roc...Ouch!!!) ....it's useless now, according to the rules, for sanctioned play.

But for casual and/or non sanctioned play...I don't have a problem with someone using a disc that has a crack in it. For one, a small crack is not going to effect any flight characteristics....once the crack is big enough to actually effect the flight...it isn't going to be to "'Good" side.

Yeah the rule is a little vague and obviuosly there is room for some other interpretations....like yours.

By the rules...and one way I've heard it interpreted...technically we aren't allowed to "tune" a disc. That would be bending it back forth...like a lot of us do right before we drive. Also throwing purposely into a wall could be construed as post production modifying.

Time for a New Roc !

Ok..throw your disc..if anyone can remember this posting confesstion/during a tourney you lose.

This falls into the catogory of .."don't ask,don't tell"

Or a softer wall??? :) Is throwing it into the wall to break it in, or are you just practice chucking into a backstop? Just curious, Ian... :)

Not being allowed to tune a disc Is a fascist rule lol.  I see "modifications" as something like flattening out a DX Roc with boiling water and weights, or sanding down to make the outer rim thinner/more aerodynamic.  Intentionally throwing a disc on the ground (or at brick walls), to me, is just a shortcut to breaking the disc in.  I think the fairest assessment of the situation is that if your disc shows no sign whatsoever of ever being cracked then repaired (and no one knew about it), it would probably go unnoticed but would still technically be illegal. 

Out of curiosity, what type of plastic was it?

Isn't lighter/heat fixing your disc legal now?
Or throw it as hard as you can into the lake! Always My favorite was to say goodbye to a good disc... or some time even a good friend :) mah ha ha

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968