www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This is directed at your Mr. Ellis as you are in my mind "the site pro."

What are the flight characteristics and stability differences in this disc in both ESP and Z plastic, also what is your recommendation and what Innova driver would you compare it to?

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The flat top "Z" flashes are more stable, but not definite. Bright pink flash's that are flat are pretty darn stable AND hard to find. The "mark ellis flashes" are understable crushes that fly straight as hell, I would know. Are you a backhand or forehand player?
I throw 5 different Flashes. My Z's are more stable than the ESP's. My Flashes are a bit different than Eirik's. My Flat top Z Flash is less stable then the newer domey ones. I compare the flight to an Innova Beast but with more slow speed fade than the Beast.
That's the reason why I was asking him is because on his discraft profile he says "A shot which leaves the hand dead-nuts straight and flies that way until it finishes straight with no fade or hyzer." These are the flashes I would be looking for. I throw both backhand and forehand with backhand distance max about 360-370 and forehand 325, but I only really use forehand for hyzer shots that need a hard right fade.
The one's that are manufactured the way they want to be are like a rogue, but not quite. A rogue is just a surge in dga plastic.

They are normally flip discs. The real overstable ones are awesome. The newer run orange z flash's are the ones mark is talking about.
I'd agree that the Rogue is more like the Surge. The Flash is a little less overstable than both. I just lost my ESP Flash and replaced it with an orange Z Flash and Damn! It's got this wide sweet spot where it doesn't take a lot of power to make it go straight, but it can be thrown fairly hard or in moderate wind without flipping. However, throw it hard and with anhyzer and it will never come back. Great forehand disc for people with only so-so flick power like me.
Well I may not be the "site pro" but I have thrown more shots with a Flash than most players, who knows, maybe more than anyone else. I have been known to shank quite a bit and those shots count, too. :)

For the last few years the Z Flash has been my primary driver. I carry 6 different Z Flashes in the bag, not including back-ups, and each of them is from a different run and does something slightly or substantially different.

Z Flashes are among the most brilliant but unpredictable of discs. The flight charts won't help much. Looking at them or picking particular weights or colors won't help either. You will only know for sure what you have by throwing it. Or getting one from me since I know.

Flashes were designed to be long gliding, understable drivers (understable in the hands of a strong throwing pro, not understable like an Optimizer or something). The one characteristic they all share is great glide. But Flashes are such a touchy mold that some of the runs come out stable and some of them come out overstable. The overstable flat top ones are my favorite driver in the world. Keep in mind that I drive forehand, so I need a strong disc to handle forehand flutter.

The ESP Flash is a more consistent product and is medium stability, like a Stalker or a TeeBird. The ESP's come out much more domey but still glide forever.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968