www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I know that it is a little extra plastic for keeping discs from sticking together during the cooling process, and you can remove it. 

What is the purpose in removing the flashing? 

Where exactly is the flashing located on the disc?

What is the best method to remove it?

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i remove the flashing with 220 sandpaper.....the flashing is located on the edge of the disc and on the bootom of the rim you should feel it when you grip the disc, my purpose for removing it is that the flashing doesnt cut my hand when i throw the discs

A brand new single sided razor blade does the trick.

I'm not an expert but I thought at sanding and using a razor blade on your disc was illegal.  Correct me if I'm wrong....

I just throw my disc to wear them in.

I dont want to change the flight characteristics of the disc my removing to much material with sand paper or a razor blade. I use a ScothBrite pad (Type A very-fine) or I just play til it wears off, this doesn't take long with the Z plastics. On my latitude stuff though, the edge holds for a while, you could cut meat with my Havoc.

Actually removing the flash is legal But I just throw them to wear them in as well

802.01 Discs Used in Play

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.
Often you can remove it with your fingernail. The flashing itself can change the flight of the disc, so I have no problem with removing it. Most of the time I do not worry about it, it is just when it's in the way that I take the time.
I leave it on, when throwing I try to find the spot with minimal flashing. It helps the disc live longer, but don't play catch with it. Feel free to invent games.
Games like "Who has more fingers" losing means you have one less then before you started... man I love that game!
You so crazy.....
Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me.
A friend of mine told me that he rubs them on the carpet to remove the flashing.
Buy local and you can pick a disc with no flashing :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968