www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Curious what exactly makes a disc overstable or understable. Is it shape, weight, combination of the two, or something else?

Without knowing the disc name (Boss, Surge, etc) and it's flight "rating" (-1.5, -2.0, etc) is there some way to distinguish between an overstable disc and an understable disc simply by visual examination.

Occasionally, I get a chance to shift through bins of old discs for sale and the name has faded away or  it's an X-out, or it's a name I've never heard of. I'd like to learn more about how to predict the flight chararteristics without the advantage of being able to throw it to determine.

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I, too, would love this info

I believe a good way to tell is by the parting line height. So the thicker the outside edge of the disc the more stable it will be.

How domey it is, is a good way to tell. And the angle and sharpness of the edge. 

If the rim is concave it tends to make it overstable (think Discraft Xtreme) and if it's convex it should be more understable (think Innova Roadrunner).

Most of the time- if the disc is domey it is likely leaning towards understable- this is no longer always the case- it seems most of the time with wide-rimmed overstable drivers if they're domey in the center but still flatter near the edge, they are more overstable.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968