www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'd like some opinions about flight consistency among the different disc companies. I throw mostly Innova, but have experienced quite a bit of variation in flights, even from the same weight disc, in the same plastic. I am open to any company, but I would just like their discs to fly consistently, so if I lose a disc and have to replace it, I can count on the flight to be the same as the disc I lost. (I understand that a disc's flight will change over time and use/abuse, but I use mostly Star and Champion plastic, which is supposed to maintain its flight characteristics over time) Discraft claims to have the most consistent discs. What do YOU think?

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

they all have issues with different runs not flying quite alike, sometimes they have issues within the same run. lots of variables in injection molding. imo discraft has been somewhat more consistent over the years but the bottom line is if you really like how a given disc flies get as many of them in the same run, color, and weight as you think you will need for a long time.
Hey 5 Barrel Flyer,

After 5 Barrels nothing flies consistently.

After about 5 beers I would have trouble falling down consistently. Don't get me wrong, the falling down part would be easy. It's the landing part that would be tricky. After 5 more beers my landing would be like a sack of potatoes and impressively consistent.

The more skilled the player the more they can notice minor variations in flight paths. I won't get into the invitation to bash either Discraft or Innova because they are both great companies (and I am biased since I am sponsored by Discraft). The key is once you find a disc which does one thing really well, go buy as many of that run, color and weight as you can get your hands on.

For any of the modern, candy plastic drivers with wide rims and sharp noses there will be more variations than with slower drivers, mids or putters. Once you find a mold that you love the variations may be beneficial, once you can recognize and control the differences.

I think an error that some players make is they buy a disc with a pre-set notion of what that disc is supposed to do. Really, who cares what the disc does so long as you know what it does and can control it. Throw the disc flat, hard and straight and watch what it does. No matter what a flight chart might claim or what it may do for someone else, watch what it does in your hands, then use it for that task on the course.
mark ellis said:
Hey 5 Barrel Flyer,

After 5 Barrels nothing flies consistently.

After about 5 beers I would have trouble falling down consistently. Don't get me wrong, the falling down part would be easy. It's the landing part that would be tricky. After 5 more beers my landing would be like a sack of potatoes and impressively consistent.

The more skilled the player the more they can notice minor variations in flight paths. I won't get into the invitation to bash either Discraft or Innova because they are both great companies (and I am biased since I am sponsored by Discraft). The key is once you find a disc which does one thing really well, go buy as many of that run, color and weight as you can get your hands on.

For any of the modern, candy plastic drivers with wide rims and sharp noses there will be more variations than with slower drivers, mids or putters. Once you find a mold that you love the variations may be beneficial, once you can recognize and control the differences.

I think an error that some players make is they buy a disc with a pre-set notion of what that disc is supposed to do. Really, who cares what the disc does so long as you know what it does and can control it. Throw the disc flat, hard and straight and watch what it does. No matter what a flight chart might claim or what it may do for someone else, watch what it does in your hands, then use it for that task on the course.

as usual well spoken Lizard lawyer!
What it comes down to is how much room in the plastic specs a company allows from what they purchase. If they tell their suppliers they have a narrow window to meet, the product costs more to them, more to us, but flies consistently. When there are variations in plastic characteristics the public can notice (even categorizing them by color), it means the company is buying cheap, wide-spec plastic and, generally, not passing the savings on to the public.

I'm no expert in this, but I recently spoke to someone who is, and he kindly informed me as to how the process works at his factory (He owns his own business dealing in plastic products.), as I was also curious in variations between molds and runs. If the companies are very specific about what they will buy from their plastic suppliers, you get consistent runs time and time again. If they want to save a lot of money, the runs are never the same.
J.W.I. said:
What it comes down to is how much room in the plastic specs a company allows from what they purchase. If they tell their suppliers they have a narrow window to meet, the product costs more to them, more to us, but flies consistently. When there are variations in plastic characteristics the public can notice (even categorizing them by color), it means the company is buying cheap, wide-spec plastic and, generally, not passing the savings on to the public.

I'm no expert in this, but I recently spoke to someone who is, and he kindly informed me as to how the process works at his factory (He owns his own business dealing in plastic products.), as I was also curious in variations between molds and runs. If the companies are very specific about what they will buy from their plastic suppliers, you get consistent runs time and time again. If they want to save a lot of money, the runs are never the same.

If this is the case I'd rather pay a little more and get more consistency.
I am a plastics student and can tell you there are so many factors that can determine consistency of a product. Usually the process set up is the biggest factor. Let's say they change a mold on a machine to run a different part. That mold may need a different shot size, different cooling time, different mold temp....the list goes on. Various calculations, and test shots are done after a mold is changed. Then later that day or week they change the mold back to that part they were making previously. This is where the "run" can vary from a previous one. The ambient air temperature in the plant could have changed, the humidity, the person setting up the machine. Basically, the process of producing a part the same every time, can be an art. It's hard to determine what all can or will change between runs, or even during runs. Keep in mind, time is money, every minute that machine is not spitting out a product that company is loosing money on that machine.

J.W.I. said:

that innova for you, just switch to discraft.
From what I know of Innova being a larger production company and I would assume more employees on the floor, multiple shifts...etc. I would say that there is a better chance of their discs being less consistent run to run. Discraft has fewer employees on the floor so the machine setups are probably a little more consistent.
i have pretty much equall innova and discraft in my bag ( as well as a couple new lattitude discs ) so i have love for both companys, but i personally find the discraft plastic to be more consistant, and i also personally feel the discraft z plastic is better quality plastic than innovas champion plastic, it definately takes a beating better, and z plastic in my opinion keeps a consistant flight alot longer than champion plastic, this can be a down side for some people i guess as some players prefere there plastic to break in and fly less stable, personally i would rather my plastic keep its consistant flight and learn to throw it and use different model discs to acheive more or less stable flights, but thats just me.

z plastic reminds me of the old champion ce plastic as far as durability goes, and i am saying this as an innova fan who longs to see innova come back out with some ce type plastic or something comparable, well that and or make some more champion gummy runs, as the gummy discs tend to keep there intended flight carracteristics for the life of the disc and take one heck of a beating, i have i think almost every model innova made in gummy plastic, do to the scarcaty of these discs though, mine are all in my collection except for my gummy beast which is in my bag and gets used litterally every round i play, so if your talking flight consistancy in my opinion you cant beat innovas limeted champion gummy runs and ce runs ( just not practical do to scarcaty and price ) next choice for me would be discraft z plastic.

ps - as i posted on another discusion, as far as innovas gummy runs go, they have stated the reason they dont make very many of them is do to the extra work involved in hand trimming the edges, i figure the reallaty is they realize what the rest of have us that covet gummy discs have found out, and that is that the gummy plastic lasts forrever ! just talking about my prized gummy beast that is atleast five years old and i still use makes me nervouse, i figure it will be like that stride gum commercial, i am out on the course and crank a monster drive with my gummy beast when from out of nowere comes a dog sprinting accros the field, he picks up my disc darts back accross the field, jumps into a waiting van with an innova logo on the side, the van then peels off down the rd and a voice can be heard saying " give up your old gummy discs, we will make more ! LOL

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968