www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

How important is follow thru for max D? I just watched the fundementals video and realized I pretty much have no follow thru. As my distance has been static( 350 max ) since Ive started its got me scratching my head. Me and my girl have only been at it for about nine months but still some advances in distance should probably have been noted right? Whats the deal?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A great DVD to watch is the Fundamentals Video by Dave Feldberg and Ken Climo !!!!
Ahh ayeah

Donny Olow said:

A great DVD to watch is the Fundamentals Video by Dave Feldberg and Ken Climo !!!!
Follow thru is a key component to throwing distance. Also it is a key component to keeping your muscles healthy. without much follow thru people have a tendency to release the disc slightly early, Or they throw too hard and tear muscles. A good follow thru is recommended on all shots with putting being an exception.
Dude, if you ever have a abundance of time check out the vid on my home page and give me some pointers on it. Its hard for me to break down something that is so ballistic like a drive.

4U2NV said:
Follow thru is a key component to throwing distance. Also it is a key component to keeping your muscles healthy. without much follow thru people have a tendency to release the disc slightly early, Or they throw too hard and tear muscles. A good follow thru is recommended on all shots with putting being an exception.
After 9 months you and your girl could theoretically be parents. But keep on practicing your follow through. :)

Sorry, just kidding. Most players will notice an improvement in distance every year for the first 5 to 10 years as their power and technique get better.

Follow through is more important than it seems logically it should be. Why should it matter what you do after the disc is released? I think what is going on is there is a flaw in our perception of when that instant of release occurs (the hit). I think we anticipate the release and start slowing down too soon, diminishing the power of the hit. With a good follow through we are creating maximum power at the hit.

So if you have weak follow through now, improving it will improve your distance and eventually as your balance and timing adjusts to the new form, it will help your accuracy as well.
Did the fundamentals video say or even show how important it is? Follow through is just all that post-disc-ripping-out-of-your-hand momentum.

You are talking about disc golf right? "Me and my girl have only been at it for about nine months but still some advances in distance should probably have been noted right?"
That is funny. I should really read over postings before posting. God! I fell like a freakin idiot!
Jamie said:
Did the fundamentals video say or even show how important it is? Follow through is just all that post-disc-ripping-out-of-your-hand momentum.

You are talking about disc golf right? "Me and my girl have only been at it for about nine months but still some advances in distance should probably have been noted right?"
I throw forehand and bought a video camera right after Christmas. Around the holidays my left leg from hip to ankle hurt so bad it takes 30 seconds to get out of a chair. My right arm sometimes would almost go numb after throwing (numb was the only time it didn't hurt to throw). Using the camera I recorded some buddies and me and I quickly found out why I was in so much pain: a complete and total stop of my motion about 40% in -- before even half way. It hurt to LOOK at. Despite that I could (sometimes) throw it 350 but the more torque the more hurt. Many of my drives where shanked into forehand rollers but it was random if they went straight and flat.

Over the last three or so months I've gradually fixed my motion and my scores are dropping and my body doesn't hurt anymore. In truth the hip still hurts but I think it took a year to get that bad and it's going to take some months to recover. Don't do what I did! I'm not going to go into how I fixed the motion to allow more follow through (this was a challenge) but I'm just now getting to the point where I don' t have to dwell on it before each throw.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968