www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Spring is here and so is the wind, what are some of the techniques you use?  
[ Headwind,cross,tall, drives, up shots, putts. ]

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Keep it Flat. Nose down and level. Try not to let the wind get under the disc much. Power through it.
Our course is super open and windy. This winter I developed a push putt style in my basement and thought I had it down. Then I took it out on a moderately windy day and got rocked by the wind. So I pretty much canned it. I have good control with my spin putt in terms of the speed, loft and angle. I vary these elements based on the wind and if I need to go over something. If I was a hardcore tournament player, I'd probably learn the push putt, but seeing as 95% of rounds I play are on my windy home course, my time is better spent with my spin putt I think. I might give the push putt a small chunk of my small chunk of practice time this year...we'll see.
Wind was 40-50mph today several trees fell on the course, hat blew off, broke my umbrella. Flipped a new Z-Flick. I wish I had known how to handle that.
Tropical force winds 45-50....there's isn't a whole a lot of "handling that!!!" Lmao!!!

We played a tournament at Barnett in Orlando back in the mid 90's....one of the rounds, the winds were sustained at 50....gusts much higher. It was insane!!! Record breaking roller distance.....in the wrong direction!!!
Yup official report now says gusts of 49mph recorded
Thanks for the report, Ben.

In my group we were guessing how strong the wind gusts were but there is no way to know when you are out playing in it. During the worst of it, I had an upshot about 100 feet from the basket but the only route was over some small trees/bushes. Off my fingertips I thought I threw it perfect. The wind had other ideas. My next shot was about 100 feet away from the basket under a bush.

Consistently screaming winds are so different than what we encountered at yesterday's tournament. These winds were gusty and unpredictable. On one pad, playing in a three some, one guy had crazy headwinds, one guy had crazy sidewinds and the last guy had dead air until the disc was part way down the fairway when the wind slammed it down.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968