www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

........ we've just built a new course ........ it's par 60 with 4-4's and 1-5 ........ fun but a 2hr. venture as it's long ...... in trying to make it a fair test for all players we have pro, advanced and ladie's and novice tees. In doing so we have found that with the red tees the ladies can score just about on a par with the advanced men. The shortened tees are a good equalizer. It allows the advanced women the ability to compete head to head with the advanced men. Do you think this is good?…

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I appreciate the idea of Am tees, even though I would throw from either. I am an Am player and 600 + holes do nothing for my confidence which inturn affects my game as a whole.
i agree with everyone else go by skill level and if the girls want to be able to play from the big boy box then they need to practice. distance is about form and snap alot of that doesnt have anything to do with the sex of the thrower so if the girls are stuck at an am level then they need to step it up and work on there game (no offence) but i do find what your doing as sexist how bout we have a (gay) tee pad too and one for black ppl or mexicans or lets do it for age the ppl under 13 and over 50 can throw from the short pad and the ppl 14 to 49 can throw from the long one get me? what your doing is labeling every woman as the same
you may be right ........ generally speaking the women have the same co-ordination and ability to play exceptional dg but only 10% of the players are women, why don't more play? too many drunk young bucks on the course?, they don't think it's fun hiking and sweating? not enough mentorship between the women? can't keep up from the long tees and hence not competitive enough to beat their boyfriends? it's a mystery ............ it would just be cool if they'd take their advantage use the blue or red tees and beat a few of their male counterparts ........ i think it would do wonders for the game.
Boom Boom Dino wrote:
you may be right ........ generally speaking the women have the same co-ordination and ability to play exceptional dg but only 10% of the players are women, why don't more play? too many drunk young bucks on the course?, they don't think it's fun hiking and sweating? not enough mentorship between the women? can't keep up from the long tees and hence not competitive enough to beat their boyfriends? it's a mystery ............ it would just be cool if they'd take their advantage use the blue or red tees and beat a few of their male counterparts ........ i think it would do wonders for the game.

Dino...D.J. is right...there is no 'may be right' about it...me thinks you have a mind set that thinks the shorter teepads are for the weak...I hope this is not true... Take Chuck's advice and label the teepads per PDGA guidlines (IE: the color schema...Gold...Blue...White...Red...and so on). See PDGA internet address or pdf file below...

http://www.pdga.com/documents/par-guidelines

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf

Heck you could even label the teepads by animals native to Canada (IE: Polar Bear Tee...Moose Tee...Wolverine Tee...Artic Fox Tee...Artic Hare Tee...Northern Pocket Gopher Tee...Woodland Vole Tee...and so on).

Then, let the ladies decide which teepads to play from...or not...
The women I've played DG with would be put off by having gender-labeled tees.

Your desire to get more women to play DG is shared by a lot of us, if not all. Good to see.

One unfortunate side effect of the gender/tee construct is that you have a lot of guys that have no business at all playing from longer tees, losing discs more frequently and slowing play flow for everyone behind. But they sure don't want to play from the shorter 'girls' tees.

Incidentally, I recently had the privilege of playing with, among others, two pro-level women from the short tees on the Monster at Hudson Mills. They might have still clobbered me if they were playing longs and I was playing shorts. Did I care? No. It was a great night and I learned a lot.
So I take it the women showed you a thing or two from the reds ..... as it should be ........ good skill levels .... in ball golf both seniors and women shoot from shorter tee boxes ...... all lpga tourneys go from adjusted shorter women's tees .... and that game has been going 700 years ......... maybe they know things we don't want to pick up on ......... ball golf is a very successful game for women .... the game has adjusted for the ladies .. has disc golf?
Please don't use gender labels on your tees.

One way to get more ladies to play is to use ACTUAL handicaps. Handicapping allows all players of all skill levels to play on equal ground. It is just as easy for a woman or beginning player to compete with a pro level player when they all have a handicap. Of course the pros level players don't like handicapping because then they actually have to shoot at or above their skill level to win. They can't just play mediocre and still win by 10 strokes. Establishing handicaps is not that hard, and even easier if a player already has a PDGA rating.
If they are PDGA members, then they get free enrollment in the DGU handicapping service as a member benefit.
Yeah...it kind of sounds like he had his mind made up concerning gender labeled tees. He was probably seeking approval here at DGRUS and when nearly all of the replies to the discussion were in disagreement with his stance...he started fishing...to each his own.

Don't hate Dino...just my opinion.
we call our tee boxes black, blue and red just like them tender spenser cut steaks
Going fishing !! Catfish
Congrats on the new course. How exciting!!! I agree with the other comments: why not "Long Tee" and "Short Tee" instead of men's\women's? I like having a choice of tees to play on, when I am playing for fun. Which tees I use depends on who I am playing with (Adv guys like the long tees, and the Novice guys usually like the short tees). I like both. I would never consider playing a different tee than the men I am playing with. In tourneys, I play Adv Women, and I would prefer to play whatever the Rec Men are playing (as that is where I am rated: ~ 840). In fun tourneys, I would join whatever division had the guys in it that played at my level (rating). When I first started playing, the guys told me they split the groups up like this: par and under...over par...way over par...and...way, way over par. I am proud to say that I have worked my way down to the "over par" group!

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968