www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi,

I've only been playing disc golf since August last year up until October. And started again around June this year until... well, now, so I have a few months of disc golfing behind me.
I got hooked on the game almost right from the start and I ended up buying all sorts of discs and I'm still looking for that one perfect disc that will give me both distance and control.
I started off playing as a backhanded (RHBH) player, but I never got the snap into it as intended to make it really glide. It sort of just faded out on me early in the flight. I was using an Innova Dragon and Goblin when I first started. Later on, I bought a Z Avenger SS and a DX Leopard and I never really got the hang of the Avenger as it needed more power than I could produce. But, the Leopard worked out pretty good for me, but I still wasn't getting the power I needed to make it go straight and not fade on me early in the flight.

So, some guys from work and I were tossing a few discs on our lunch break and I started - for some reason - to toss forehanded. I felt like I had much better control throwing like this, but I pretty much left it at that. It didn't even occur to me that this might be a viable way to throw during disc golf rounds. But then I saw a couple of guys at the local club actually throwing the discs forehand and it was at that point it occured to me that I could actually just go forehanded on drives instead of going backhanded. It took me a little while to master it, but after a few rounds with the Leopard and Avenger SS, I got the hang of it and were knocking serious scores off my game compared to when I was doing it backhanded. I have played a bit of hockey and floorball over the years, and that's pretty much in the wrist as well, so I guess it's more natural for me to throw forehanded.
My putting was still a big problem, but I spent several months practising on it, and it's now probably the strongest part of my game.

Anyway, after trying a lot of discs in order to gain more control and distance to my forehand drives, I eventually ended up on the Teebird since that seemed to fit my power level. The Destroyer, Talon, Predator and Pulse were just too much for me to handle and they just started flipping out right after leaving my hand.

Problem is, I can have dead straight and very controlled drives with my Teebird and TL, but I haven't improved at all what distance is concerned. I have improved on every aspect of the game except for distance. My max throw is probably around 300', but my average drive is probably around the 200' - 250' range. And some of the courses we play are around 550', so I don't stand a chance if I wanna get a birde on those. Being par 4.

So, my question is: What discs would you recommend for a low-mid powered player who would want to get more distance out of his drives? And what weights? The discs I use the most are 170-171 grams Teebirds and TL. I had a 167 grams Avenger SS, but it got lost somewhere on a steep, wooded course. I've just ordered a new 166 grams Pro-D Avenger SS since this is the only disc I am able to go dead straight for the very short holes and also to flip and go in a nice left curve (RHFH).
I know I should work on my backhand, but I only use backhand for approach shots basically. I wanna improve on my forehand first before I start working on my backhand drives.

I'm still relatively new to the game, so I'm still learning. Any advice on discs and weights would be much appreciated.

Views: 589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

250...275 with a 25 foot putt you gotta three! just keep working at it. practice your putting its the key man. everything else well come with time! I flick Wraiths too they are nice and flippy butfor me they have a HUGE skip factor.
Thanks for your comments, Mark, I really appreciate that comming from a pro like yourself.

I believe you are right about my form being the main issue, but I think it's actually a two part problem:

1) Form, like you mentioned; I haven't really studied the way I throw, but it doesn't feel like I have my arm too close to my body and I actually go pretty low and do a little swoop to get it pretty close to the ground. My run-up isn't very complicated. It's sort of a simplified X-step, so maybe a better run-up would be of big help as well. But from what I've seen, a big run-up isn't necessarily what you want when throwing forehand.
I've watched a lot of your videos on YouTube and I see that you throw a little differently than the other, shall I say, more traditional forehand throwers. You seem to put a lot more arm into it, just like you said, and that's what I've been trying to copy, but it sort of just feels like I'm tossing the disc and not snapping it. So I believe my main issue is actually the snap and not so much the motion of my arm as it goes forward.

And 2) the discs I am using. After reading what you, and the other commenters, have been telling me, it seems that finding the right disc has been the least of my concern actually since I've had pretty good forehand discs all along in my Teebird, Destroyer and Talon. But still, it feels like I haven't really found that one disc for me that I know I can depend on for distance and control. But still, I think it's actually more a matter of unlearning the way I've been throwing stable to understable discs forehanded and incorporate a new technique into overstable discs.

I've actually bookmarked all of the discs you have mentioned in your post a few months ago, but gotten scared of some reviews who said you needed a lot of power to get the distance they're intended for and pretty much looked for other discs with less power requirements. But I believe these are exactly the kind of discs I've been looking for being faster than a Teebird, but slower than a Destroyer. A friend of mine has all sorts of discs, and I bet he'd be willing to let me borrow a few of his already worked in ones. I'm pretty sure he has a Stalker, Surge SS or a Rogue in there as well. He's got literally a backpack full of discs :)

Thanks for your comments again, Mark. Much appreciated. I will definetly check those discs out and work on my form. A good idea would probably be to view your YouTube videos on my iPhone while I'm actually at the course to try and implement the techniques while I'm throwing.

What's funny about disc golf, is that's a lot of trial and error before you get it right, and it's just like you say in your videos that you need about a 1000 hours of practise before you get it just right.
Yeah, the skip is also something I've noticed with the Teebird. It flips really hard on asphalt or gravel coming from an upward angle. But from what I've heard, that's pretty natural for a disc to behave when thrown forehanded.

My putting is actually the best part of my game, like I said earlier, and I feel like I have a nice learning curve there. As well as on my approaches, but the drives are just as long today as they were when I started last year. Maybe just a few feet longer and a little more controlled. But then again, I used to throw all my throws backhanded in the start, so I guess I've actually spent more time putting and approaching than I have doing forehand drives, so it's only natural that those parts have improved more.
Yeah, it might turn left for you a bit (assuming you forehand with your right hand), but it has a pretty consistent fade back at the end of its flight.
Oh, thank goodness "the teacher" replied so I can stop blabbering my drivel all over this thread. I throw forehand only when absolutely necessary so I will now back away bowing a thousand pardons now.
No need to apologize :)

I appreciate everyone's input and I got some good advice from you, so thanks :)
go out to a field and throw. that would probably help; o yeah and anything that Mark says is going to be gospel!
Go buy that 168g. Banshee now and throw the crap out of it!
I have a 166 Destroyer that is very overstable, even more than my max weight ones. I have been told they make <170 out of star light plastic and that is why.
I agree, I learned to thow forehand with a 175 champ Banshee. It was my favorate disc for years. Now Xcalibers are what works best for me.
Just finished a round of disc golf and I have reallt improved my distance by just changing my grip! I think I threw around 300'-350' pretty consistently today. At least not any 200'-250' that I usually get. I'm still throwing a Teebird, but I've just got a new Ken Climo Fly Dye Champion edition and that seems to have a lot more glide to it for some reason than my old DX. The DX is pretty beat up, though.

I still use my old grip for controlled distance, but the new power grip has become my new main grip off the tee.

Thanks for your advice, guys! I'm pretty sure the advice you've given me has helped a lot!

Goal for next season: Higher power drivers and 400'. Of yeah, and work on my backhand. That's still pretty rusty ;)
DX TeeBirds are great until they get beyond the point of no return. I usually go through maybe three or four of those per year. I still throw DX but I have a Star TeeBird that does most of the work anymore.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968