www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi,

I've only been playing disc golf since August last year up until October. And started again around June this year until... well, now, so I have a few months of disc golfing behind me.
I got hooked on the game almost right from the start and I ended up buying all sorts of discs and I'm still looking for that one perfect disc that will give me both distance and control.
I started off playing as a backhanded (RHBH) player, but I never got the snap into it as intended to make it really glide. It sort of just faded out on me early in the flight. I was using an Innova Dragon and Goblin when I first started. Later on, I bought a Z Avenger SS and a DX Leopard and I never really got the hang of the Avenger as it needed more power than I could produce. But, the Leopard worked out pretty good for me, but I still wasn't getting the power I needed to make it go straight and not fade on me early in the flight.

So, some guys from work and I were tossing a few discs on our lunch break and I started - for some reason - to toss forehanded. I felt like I had much better control throwing like this, but I pretty much left it at that. It didn't even occur to me that this might be a viable way to throw during disc golf rounds. But then I saw a couple of guys at the local club actually throwing the discs forehand and it was at that point it occured to me that I could actually just go forehanded on drives instead of going backhanded. It took me a little while to master it, but after a few rounds with the Leopard and Avenger SS, I got the hang of it and were knocking serious scores off my game compared to when I was doing it backhanded. I have played a bit of hockey and floorball over the years, and that's pretty much in the wrist as well, so I guess it's more natural for me to throw forehanded.
My putting was still a big problem, but I spent several months practising on it, and it's now probably the strongest part of my game.

Anyway, after trying a lot of discs in order to gain more control and distance to my forehand drives, I eventually ended up on the Teebird since that seemed to fit my power level. The Destroyer, Talon, Predator and Pulse were just too much for me to handle and they just started flipping out right after leaving my hand.

Problem is, I can have dead straight and very controlled drives with my Teebird and TL, but I haven't improved at all what distance is concerned. I have improved on every aspect of the game except for distance. My max throw is probably around 300', but my average drive is probably around the 200' - 250' range. And some of the courses we play are around 550', so I don't stand a chance if I wanna get a birde on those. Being par 4.

So, my question is: What discs would you recommend for a low-mid powered player who would want to get more distance out of his drives? And what weights? The discs I use the most are 170-171 grams Teebirds and TL. I had a 167 grams Avenger SS, but it got lost somewhere on a steep, wooded course. I've just ordered a new 166 grams Pro-D Avenger SS since this is the only disc I am able to go dead straight for the very short holes and also to flip and go in a nice left curve (RHFH).
I know I should work on my backhand, but I only use backhand for approach shots basically. I wanna improve on my forehand first before I start working on my backhand drives.

I'm still relatively new to the game, so I'm still learning. Any advice on discs and weights would be much appreciated.

Views: 598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Recently I found that the Star Wraith is the perfect marriage of control and distance for me. Any speed discs over that are touchy for me. There are longer discs for me, but they seem more erratic as well... not something you want in the woods. I love the TL... actually it's really not that much shorter off the tee than the wraith is to be honest... the STAR TL that is. The champ ones don't have as much glide... they are great, but not as long.

I don't throw a lot of forehands, but I would try the Wraith, based on your success with the TL and the more stable teebird. The Wraith is similar stability wise to the teebird, but longer. I've started my quest to throwing better forehands and I think I'm about the same distance throwing it as you are right now and the wraith works well... mostly for LONG hyzers at the moment. But now I feel like I'm rambling so I should go to bed. Try a Wraith... that's my advice. Maybe an SL too.
Thanks for your comment. I appreciate that.

I haven't used my TL that much, and yes, it is a star TL. I liked the Teebird, so I basically went for something that was supposed to be a little more stable in hopes of gaining a little more distance.

The Wraith has crossed my mind, but that 11 speed and 3 fade Innova has labled it has pretty much scared me into not giving it a try since I've had my hands full with the Teebird and TL managing to control those.

My brother actually has a Star SL, so I could always give that a try. The season is almost at an end here in Norway, so I should probably hurry up getting that Wraith if I wanna give it a go :)

Most of the courses I play are pretty wooded, so not fading out too much is essential. That's probably another reason why the Wraith has scared me. Fading hard at the 550' course means I'll probably spend another two or three throws ending up right where I would if I'd just thrown a controlled Teebird drive instead.

My grip might also be a little off, but this is the grip I've gotten most control out of, but obviously in exchange for a little less distance. I've had a player from the local club coach me on a forehand grip, but it just felt weird to me, so I returned to my old one. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos (mainly by Mark Ellis), but none of them are using the grip I am. I think I'm actually losing a bit of snap on my grip, so I might have to change that if I wanna get the extra distance I've been craving.

Anyway, thanks again :)
I use the Banshee for a forehand approach disc because it is so controllable. Try it sometime.
Really? I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention that disc when it comes to forehand.
But my approaches aren't really my problem. I usually go for my Gator if I need it fade hard. Very useful around trees and other obstacles. I've just gotten a Shark, so I'm eager to try that one out as well. It's supposed to be pretty good for mid-range forehand drives.
I usually approach backhand, though, for anything within 100' or around that range. I have a Pro Dart that is really great since it's pretty soft, so it will absorb much of the impact and not roll too far off if it lands edge first. My newest addition is a DX Aero, and I love that. It's super straight, and even for me as a pretty poor backhander I can get that to go dead straight for 100' and land anywhere within 10' of the basket for an easy putt. What's surpising about it is that I can't get it to go anywhere but straight forward. I've tried flipping it and making it fade, but just won't go anywhere but straight ahead, so I love it when I have a clear shot at the basket.

From how far do you use the Banshee? Do you think maybe it would be good for those 200' holes?
I don't see why not. The thing about the Banshee is that it will fly fairly straight until it slows down and then it will hook. So for a forehand shot I generally aim about 10 to 15 feet left of the basket and if I get my speed right the disc will go pin high and then fade right to the hole. All speed and distance. Great also for hooking around trees. If you want to try it out you can get a DX Banshee for fairly cheap. I have both a DX and a Champion Banshee. I generally use the Champion for approach and anywhere from 100 to 30 feet in (sometimes farther out).
I've found that my Teebird does that job pretty well actually. I use that when I need to approach forehand. Problem is that sometimes I put a little too much power, or flick if you will, and it'll actually end up 30' past the basket. I bought the Shark, so that I could get a little more control on that part of the game. The Shark has less speed, less glide but the same fade, meaning less chance of going too far from the basket if I overdo the flick.

But again, my approaches are not my biggest problem. It's the distance in my drives.
I had an Elite X Crush also, but that faded very hard on me and hooked hard to the right as it lost speed. Much like I fear the Wraith will do. I know a lot of people say the Crush is a pretty decent disc for a beginner, but I wouldn't recommend that to any beginner since I'm pretty sure it needs a decent amount of power to go far before it fades.

Like I said earlier, it might just be my grip. I've linked a photo of my grip.
From what I can see, it might just be that I'm not getting the full power of the flick as the disc is pretty much halfway through the flick at it's starting position. The times I really get the disc flying is when I flick the disc backwards a bit before flicking it forwards and releasing it. It usually generates more momentum to the disc, but often less control. See what you think.
Attachments:
Yes, but the TeeBird will keep on going while the Banshee fades to the basket. I do also use the Star TeeBird for approach as well.

I actually use the two finger "peace sign" method with both fingers flat on the disc.
I have thrown forehand a lot over the years, and the only advice I can offer is that you can't rely solely upon one type of throw--its a must to have both a backhand and forehand in the bag...that said, if you have both (I am assuming you are right handed) use overstable discs for forehands to get the left--right turn--your backhand will be much more efficient at producing a right--left turn.

Good overstable discs for forehands include a Halo (my favorite), Flick, Destroyer, XXX, XCaliber, Force, Spirit, Speed Demon--all of these discs will allow you to really turn the disc over and it will usually flex back to the right (until you break them in enough to flatten out, then learn a forehand hyzer flip) for extra distance.

Trust your backhand to turn discs left--trusting a forehand to turn left is a risky bet in my book...
Well said Ryan. You need to have both shots (forehand and backhand) in order to maximize your ability. Also throw in a few roller shots and maybe a thumber, hammer, etc. Go out to a field to practice your technique.
I fully agree with you that having both a good backhand and forehand shot is essential, but I'm still learning both and since the courses don't vary that much in whether you should drive forehanded or backhanded, I've just concentrated on mastering my forehand since I'm very forehand dominant in my drives.
Like I said, I approach backhanded since I feel it's easier than approaching forehanded.

I have a Pro Destroyer, but I gave up on it after a while since I never got to master it. Throwing too much forehanded with understable discs might have messed up my point of release a bit. I always seem to release the very overstable discs too early since that's how I've gotten used to releasing the understable ones.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not hoping that you guys out there can tell me the perfect disc for me, but if I'm gonna put down a lot of time on a disc, I wanna make sure it's the right disc for me so I don't spend a lot of time learing the wrong disc and basically end up with a lot of frustration and return to old habbits.

I've never even considered the Halo as a forehand disc, but I think I'm gonna give that a try. I don't like the overstable discs that can turn on me, 'cause that's usually the case when I throw the very overstable discs.

But all the discs you have mentioned seem very high-powered. Aren't there any discs in between a Teebird and a Destroyer that will work well forehanded?

And about the backhand; I ordered an Avenger SS and a Leopard yesterday. Pretty light (166-167 grams) so I can learn to master my backhand a little better. There are the two discs I've had must success with when it comes to backhand drives.
you hit the nail on the head--forehanding too many understable discs will alter your optimal release for forehanding overstable discs...which is exactly the reason I won't use anything less than moderately stable for a forehand

Slower discs for forehands (for me) are again, very overstable--Drone (favorite), Venom, Gator, Whippet, Demon--and occasionally, a challenger or wizard for a forehand putt...
That's what I feared. I guess I'll just have to learn how to forehand the very overstable discs. I'll pull out the Destroyer and Talon more often and give them a go and slowly learn how to use them properly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968