www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi,

I've only been playing disc golf since August last year up until October. And started again around June this year until... well, now, so I have a few months of disc golfing behind me.
I got hooked on the game almost right from the start and I ended up buying all sorts of discs and I'm still looking for that one perfect disc that will give me both distance and control.
I started off playing as a backhanded (RHBH) player, but I never got the snap into it as intended to make it really glide. It sort of just faded out on me early in the flight. I was using an Innova Dragon and Goblin when I first started. Later on, I bought a Z Avenger SS and a DX Leopard and I never really got the hang of the Avenger as it needed more power than I could produce. But, the Leopard worked out pretty good for me, but I still wasn't getting the power I needed to make it go straight and not fade on me early in the flight.

So, some guys from work and I were tossing a few discs on our lunch break and I started - for some reason - to toss forehanded. I felt like I had much better control throwing like this, but I pretty much left it at that. It didn't even occur to me that this might be a viable way to throw during disc golf rounds. But then I saw a couple of guys at the local club actually throwing the discs forehand and it was at that point it occured to me that I could actually just go forehanded on drives instead of going backhanded. It took me a little while to master it, but after a few rounds with the Leopard and Avenger SS, I got the hang of it and were knocking serious scores off my game compared to when I was doing it backhanded. I have played a bit of hockey and floorball over the years, and that's pretty much in the wrist as well, so I guess it's more natural for me to throw forehanded.
My putting was still a big problem, but I spent several months practising on it, and it's now probably the strongest part of my game.

Anyway, after trying a lot of discs in order to gain more control and distance to my forehand drives, I eventually ended up on the Teebird since that seemed to fit my power level. The Destroyer, Talon, Predator and Pulse were just too much for me to handle and they just started flipping out right after leaving my hand.

Problem is, I can have dead straight and very controlled drives with my Teebird and TL, but I haven't improved at all what distance is concerned. I have improved on every aspect of the game except for distance. My max throw is probably around 300', but my average drive is probably around the 200' - 250' range. And some of the courses we play are around 550', so I don't stand a chance if I wanna get a birde on those. Being par 4.

So, my question is: What discs would you recommend for a low-mid powered player who would want to get more distance out of his drives? And what weights? The discs I use the most are 170-171 grams Teebirds and TL. I had a 167 grams Avenger SS, but it got lost somewhere on a steep, wooded course. I've just ordered a new 166 grams Pro-D Avenger SS since this is the only disc I am able to go dead straight for the very short holes and also to flip and go in a nice left curve (RHFH).
I know I should work on my backhand, but I only use backhand for approach shots basically. I wanna improve on my forehand first before I start working on my backhand drives.

I'm still relatively new to the game, so I'm still learning. Any advice on discs and weights would be much appreciated.

Views: 576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

by no means don't let me dissuade you from throwing understable discs forehanded--if you can do it with consistency, more power to you--
Well, that's the thing; I can throw them, but if I try to really let one rip, then they simply turn on me and flip almost with the top first and just roll away uncontrolably.

It's like the Teebird: I get good distance with it, but I can't max out the power or it'll turn and I can't throw very overstable discs, 'cause they will just flip and go straight to the right and not very far.

But what do you think would be a suitable weight for someone with not too much power on a very overstable driver like a Destroyer? Mine now is 171, but maybe I should go even light than that and consider something around 165?
its a personal thing--I would flip a 165 Destroyer right into the ground--so mine is a 178--the lighter they are, the less stable they will be...but in the end, its all about what you're comfortable with...
Hehe, OK. Sounds like I have a bit more of trial and error ahead of me next summer :)

The best and longest forehand drives I've had has been with a Z Avenger SS 167 grams, and that's not really a very overstable disc. Rated 0,5 by Discraft. But this has also been the disc I've had the most trouble not getting to flip, so I don't know if it's the weight or the discs flight pattern that causes this to happen. I usually have very consistent 200-250' drives with the Teebird, but like I said: I'd like some more distance without losing too much control.
Well, then before you buy anything, maybe give that SL a shot since you have access to it without purchasing another disc (though perhaps nothing can save you from the beginners inclination to buy a bunch of discs to try: if we're on this site, then we've probably all done it).
I agree with Ryan S. I don't use an overstable disc for a forhand shot. I would try a firebird, xcaliber and a destroyer. Aim left of your target and tilt the wing up to compensate for the hard turn you are worried about. As you gain power and speed these discs will go further and straighter. As you gain power and speed flaten the wing out to keep these discs from turning over. The big skip to the right at the end of the flight is what you want. Adjust your aim so when you get this big skip the disc will end up near the basket. If you continue to use an overstable disc for forhand shots as you gain power and speed they will turn over and hit the dirt and may even turn into rollers for you.... Also an another big tip.. use less arm and more wrist.. most new players tend to rear back and try to throw it like a baseball. less arm and more wrist will keep the disc from wobbling... I'm not a pro and don't know all there is to know about DG, but these things have worked for me. Your grip looks fine to me.. My grip looks similar but the difference between your grip and mine is that my middle finger is curled up a bit and I'm useing it to balance the disc. I've tried your grip and it feels comfortable for me but I loose accuracy with that grip.
Hehe, you've got that right. I've bought a lot of discs. Probably 20+. Lost three, sold a few and some have been wrecked to shreds after one too many hits on trees :)

But yeah, I'll definetly give that SL a try first. It's even worked in and everything, so that's a win for me basically :) It's never occured to me that an SL would be a viable forehand disc since it's more on the understable scale than on the overstable scale. According to Innova anyway.
Jorn writes:

"Problem is, I can have dead straight and very controlled drives with my Teebird and TL, but I haven't improved at all what distance is concerned. I have improved on every aspect of the game except for distance. My max throw is probably around 300', but my average drive is probably around the 200' - 250' range. And some of the courses we play are around 550', so I don't stand a chance if I wanna get a birde on those. Being par 4.

So, my question is: What discs would you recommend for a low-mid powered player who would want to get more distance out of his drives? And what weights? The discs I use the most are 170-171 grams Teebirds and TL. I had a 167 grams Avenger SS, but it got lost somewhere on a steep, wooded course. I've just ordered a new 166 grams Pro-D Avenger SS since this is the only disc I am able to go dead straight for the very short holes and also to flip and go in a nice left curve (RHFH).
I know I should work on my backhand, but I only use backhand for approach shots basically. I wanna improve on my forehand first before I start working on my backhand drives.

I'm still relatively new to the game, so I'm still learning. Any advice on discs and weights would be much appreciated.
"

!@#$%^&*_)(*&^%$@##$%^&*()_+)(*&^%$@#$%^&*()__)(*&^@#$%^&*

Jorn,

If your average FH drives are going 200-250 feet then the problem is probably your form, not your discs. Without watching your shots it is difficult to know for sure but here is my best guess.

Most players with relatively weak powered forehand drives use a short punching motion with their elbow tight to their body. This form limits power, like a boxer who only uses a jab. The advantage of a short, limited motion is that it is easier to learn to control shots. The disadvantage is that it gives little power.

If you were throwing a baseball sidearm (or hitting a racquetball) with full power you would extend your arm away from your body and do a full arm swing and put your whole body into the shot.

If I am correct about your form then you may find, as you try to incorporate more arm and body into the shot that the discs which were too overstable to be controlled no longer are.

Generally for average powered forehand drivers I would recommend Z Stalkers, Z Surge SS's and Rogues. These discs do a great job of combining control with long glide. I don't view weights as all that important, so anything 165-175 grams is fine.
I just read the reply from Mark Ellis and he seems to totally disagree with me about less arm. LOL.. Just goes to show,, use whatever works best for you. Heres some additional advice because this worked for me...buy a million discs,, throw them a million times 10 different ways and use whatever works best for you.
The best advice you will ever hear will come from mark. Listen to him he's the man.
elite x reaper works for me
i agree.. i've always trusted his advice... makes me want to go out and try to use more arm.. I dont think he read my post before he posted his advice...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968