www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I throw right handed and drive with a forehand shot.  Most of my drives end up right, even when they start out straight--is that normal?  And are hyzer and anhyzer terms the same for right handed throwers on a forehand shot?  As I understand the terms, hyzer shots go from right to left and anhyzer from left to right..

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark, thank you for the great explanation! I was always confused by those terms, but now I'm clear on how to use them. If you don't mind I had another inquiry for you. I'm a newbie (if you couldn't tell, lol) and my backhand is considerbly weaker than my forehand when I'm driving. Is this normal for a beginning player and should I try to get to where I can drive with backhand instead of forehand? Thanks for the help!
If you can throw both equally you will be a much better player.
Yes, that absolutely makes a lot of sense! Im just wondering if throwing a backhand for distance requires more strength than forehand? And why do more players seem to prefer backhand throws? For consistency maybe?
Most people just seem to learn to throw backhand first. Possibly because that is how i learned to throw a frisbee. I really dont know much about the strength thing though but it does seem that backhand players throw farther but my friend throws really great forehand and it seems he doesnt have to have a big run up or backswing or really give much effort at all.
You are a bit off in your understanding of terms. Hyzer and anhyzer are universal terms which apply to all shots: rhbh (right handed backhand), rhfh (right handed forehand) and lhbh and lhfh (lefthanded backhand or forehand).

The confusing part is that some discs fly with clockwise spin (rhbh and lhfh) and others fly with counterclockwise spin (rhfh and lhbh). So discs thrown with similar spin will act similarly even if they are thrown with different hands. As odd as it seems a rhbh and a lhfh both turn the same direction: and a lhbh and rhfh both turn in the same direction (if thrown flat and straight).

Discs thrown flat and straight tend to fade at the end of their flight in a particular direction. That direction is called a hyzer. Hyzers happen as a result of the physics of disc flight and are the natural order of things. Which means that a disc has a natural tendency to hyzer. Discs want to hyzer and usually do. An anhyzer, the opposite finishing direction, requires the thrower to force the disc to make it turn in an unnatural direction.

If you throw rhbh your discs naturally fade to the left. That is a hyzer. If you want to make a rhbh turn to the right then that is an anhyzer and a much more difficult shot to accomplish.

Keith Dwyer is a rhfh thrower and his shots naturally fade to the right ( a hyzer). If he wants to make his shots fade to the left that will be an anhyzer. Again anhyzers are more difficult to control. So Keith, your rhfh hyzers go from left to right (due to counterclockwise spin). Your buddies who throw rhbh have their hyzers go from right to left (due to clockwise spin).

The easy part is throwing a hyzer. Just throw it flat and straight and let it fade. The hard part is bending an anhyzer. There are different ways to make this happen. It is easier to learn the anhyzer by watching a video than reading a written description. Go to Youtube.com and search Discraft Pro Clinics, anhyzer.
Keith Dwyer wrote: "Mark, thank you for the great explanation! I was always confused by those terms, but now I'm clear on how to use them. If you don't mind I had another inquiry for you. I'm a newbie (if you couldn't tell, lol) and my backhand is considerbly weaker than my forehand when I'm driving. Is this normal for a beginning player and should I try to get to where I can drive with backhand instead of forehand? Thanks for the help!

Im just wondering if throwing a backhand for distance requires more strength than forehand? And why do more players seem to prefer backhand throws? For consistency maybe?"

If you watch a bunch of new players about half of them throw backhand and half of them throw forehand. I think most players have a natural preference, just like most people are naturally right or left handed. As players practice and develop their skills they realize that backhand is easier to control and gravitate toward backhand throws. Most tournament players are backhand dominant.

But just because backhand is easier to control does not mean that forehand is impossible or a flawed choice. With practice a forehand can be mastered, just like a backhand. As more good forehand players develop, they act as examples for others which fuels the trend of players who throw forehand predominately or occasionally with skill and confidence.

Good players need to be able to throw both forehand and backhand. Sometimes you are in a bush and only have one shot available. If you are going to throw a shot sometimes then you need to practice it enough to be competent with it. Which throw a player will eventually become better with, for both power or control, is unknown until they practice enough to understand their own potential.

Both throws have advantages and disadvantages. Since the margin of error is smaller for a forehand, if I were equally gifted both ways I would emphasize a backhand first. As it turns out I am forehand dominant and have much better power forehand. I didn't realize this for the first 3 years I played. I was taught by good Pros who threw backhand so I did too. Only when an injury took away my backhand did I teach myself the forehand.

Learn every shot. Whatever you don't have will bite you in the butt. Of course the most important shot is the putt.
Ok Mark, it seems my natural preference is forehand, at least for getting any type of distance on a shot. I definitely see your point about developing both forehand and backhand to have the most options on any given shot, so I'll keep working on that backhand. And that's a great tip about the youtube videos! I've actually seen those discraft videos and found them very helpful. There are many other good ones too. Some of those guys (and girls) are really good and you feel yourself getting better just by watching them!
I was once in your situation and also once got advice from Mark......

A year later, I throw probably 65% of my shots backhand and can throw 385 feet. HOWEVER, I can throw a Forehand drive 350 if I need/want to do so. I am right handed. Learn EVERY shot you can possibly learn when you are a new player. I can now throw almost every shot if I need to rather it is backhand, forehand, anny, tomahawk, or a thumber.

It is good to have a more dominant shot of course but being able to do both makes other players jealous and helps you dramatically on the course. I used to be "Disc Golf Rocks My Socks" on here Mark so you are not confused.

I throw a NUKE for both backhand and forehand for distance off the tee, I throw an ESP Buzzz for a forehand mid. A forehand anny is hard to learn, so just throw backhand. Some think an ANNY is hard to throw for a righty backhander, so just throw Forehand and smile at them.

I'm not being an ass, all it is is truth.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968