www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am new to the site and I have seen some discussions about forehand shots and backhand shots from some of yall, and wanted some opinions. I have been forehand dominant ever since I started playing back about four years ago. I can average any where from 350-430 feet depending on the pin location and conditions, and I consider myself very accurate with my forehand. Coming from a baseball background and playing second base, forehands have always felt real natural and pure to me. For the last two weeks I have been considering switching to a more backhand dominant game and pretty much relearn the game and play the way most tour pros do. I am considering this because I want to add a more traditional shot to my game. I hope I'm not making a mistake. I wonder what everyone out there thinks of a guy with a accurate, and predictable forehand shot as too an accurate and predictable backhand?

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No harm in learn both. 430 feet is a long way. Becoming more "traditional" isn't a good reason to make the switch. If you think you can pick up a few throws per round by making the switch than that's something else. I would stick to what you know considering you are long and accurate. I'd kill for that kind of length.
I throw both RHBH and RHFH. I throw BH 385 and FH 350. Stick with what works for you. A FH anny is easy with a Sidewinder or Roadrunner. There are times in my game when I just throw whatever makes sense. I throw BH for distance and I throw FH for accuracy. I just love seeing someone think about their shot for a minute then walking up and parking a FH mid or something. It is great. I am still awaiting my first and semmingly elusive first FH ace!!!! I have 4 BH aces so far and have been playing for 16 months.
I throw both, but I like you, got proficient in forehand first. I practice and throw much more backhand, however, because I see the benefits in Advanced and Pro players how have mastery of a good backhand. The lack of a strong backhand would force me to try to throw anhyzer forehand for distance in certain tree situations and that can be a tricky shot for me. I believe a strong backhand drive also improves backhand approaches/upshots. Practice the backhand, just don't neglect that sweet forehand shot!
I played forehand through most of my early days playing disc. In 1996 I started throwing backhand and at first I lost about 100ft off my drives. But after a year, or so, my distance came back and the accuracy did also. I think the over stable discs on the market now days respond better to backhand throws, but it's all preference. Now I can play an entire round either way and it's good to have both styles in my game. Good luck if you change, but be patient if you do!
___Tab
if you have the time practice to wear you could be dominate with both. Some courses play to your strengths and others play to your weakness. If you could throw both backhand and forehand equally as well...then you would limit your weakness. I have been learning to throw a forehand now just because it is easier letting a disc hyzer out to me than turning it over. I have been working on both my control on turnovers and annys as well as throwing in the forehand. The hope is that I can walk up to any hole and feel completely confident that I am going to beat it. If you have every shot in the bag the odds of being a better player are always greater. Good luck with it.
I play strictly backhand but I have a friend who has been switching back and forth between the two styles. His backhand has gotten much better but I have noticed now that his forehand drives have suffered. He has lost 10-30 feet on drives and is not as accurate.

My feeling on it, if your going to attempt to throw both styles then get ready to play twice as much. start on an easier course and throw 2 rounds each time. Once backhand, then a round forehand.
if it aint broke dont fix it.
I'll second that! I think I would cheerfully cut off my pinkie toe to be able to forehand over 400'
You talkin about me dave? If so I can see that its happening. Backhand is getting better but my forehand is really suffering. :(
haha yeah i have been workin on my backhand for the past day its been goin good, i did throw a forehand over 430 today it was an absolute bomb to bad it was left of the hole by 40 yards or so haha. everyone has had some good suggestions! thanks for the input. tomorrow goin to the local store and pickin up a few disk anyone know of any good backhand disk i should look at, i already plan on gettin the star xcaliber, i threw a nuke today and liked it.
Nuke = enough said
Force = bomber
Katana = long dancer
Roc = birdies
depending on how much snap you have, but I'm a huge fan of the Surge SS. I did the exact same thing you did going from great forehand to learning backhand. If you learn how to throw the disc right, any disc can be thrown any way. I got working with the course pro here, and now I've got a 400 ft forehand and a 400 (working on consistency) backhand. It's all about the accuracy and middle work, that's where all the pros are better than me. Sure I can put it 400, but what does it matter if it goes OB. Anyway, good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968