www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've played this game for a long time (30+ yrs) . All this time the term sidearm has bothered me. Isn't it really a forehand like tennis & racketball ? It's the same motion right ? Why create a new word that needs an explanation ?  I think what I'm driving at is the publics perception of our terminology.

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm calling it a "Mad Dog Stunner". Then I can have a shot named after me!
I call the throwing motions forehand and backhand FH or BH that makes it easy
what about forearm? collaboration of the two terms... :) or just a simple flick shot.
'if we pick, do we not bleed!?'
Seinfeld. Well done.
Who cares, same thing, call it what you want, I say forehand.
Damn you and your reasoning lol!!
OK, how about for righties. It's the Turn right throw and the Turn left throw ( Sideforeflickarm and backhand). Just reverse it for lefties!
I like that..."Sideforeflickarm" Makes total sense!!!
I was going to say the same thing actually.
Sidearm is the term everyone was raised with.
When you were watching baseball and the pitcher threw that funky pitch.
Your father explained to you that was a sidearm pitch and took you in the yard to teach you how to throw it.
Later, when you found a Frisbee, you realized that the sidearm pitch worked to fly the disc.
A forehand shot for tennis or racquetball is not comparable because you are not throwing anything.
When people throw the frisbee, they look like sidearm pitchers releasing a ball, my tennis swing is much different.
BOTH terms are acceptable for disc golf and hardly ever create a communication problem, especially when you can give them the visual by waving your arm...if you say them both, they will understand at least one of them.
Now the term STABLE (which means STRAIGHT) is one that new disc golfers have trouble with...
At certain times we use the word "stable" to actually mean OVERstable...Why could we not have just used the word "Straight" instead of "Stable"?
"Over Straight and Under Straight" .....not seeing it taking off anytime soon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968