www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've played this game for a long time (30+ yrs) . All this time the term sidearm has bothered me. Isn't it really a forehand like tennis & racketball ? It's the same motion right ? Why create a new word that needs an explanation ?  I think what I'm driving at is the publics perception of our terminology.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never played tennis or racketball, so I never developed a forehand serve, but I did play baseball where I developed a pretty crazy sidearm fastball. I'm still throwing sidearm. But, what a can't handle is a "flick"... Now where in the world did that come from?
Oh... and the public's perception... well I don't think I've ever heard the public mention it, no matter what we call it.
In pitching sidearm is used to distinguish it from overhand. In both cases the palm, front or "fore" part of the hand is facing the direction the ball is going. In Tennis the term forehand is used to distinguish it from backhand for obvious reasons. Which one seems more accurate in a disc golf setting?
Marshall,
After 30 + years, c'mon, get over it. Forehand and sidearm are the same darn thing: one term stolen from tennis, the other from baseball.

This should be no surprise because we stole our entire sport from ball golf. Every important concept of our sport was stolen straight from our older, richer and more snooty brother.

Let me give you an example: Marshall, in your last tournament round, how many strokes were you under par?

Although Marshall is a top pro talent (for an old guy) the correct answer is NONE. He took no strokes, although perhaps lots of throws. (Yup, strokes is a ball golf term. We take throws in disc golf).

If you want to go off on weird terminology then let's talk about the NAMES of our divisions. Recreation? Novice? Ok, logically, which one is the lower division? Hah!, logically they make no sense. But the real shame is that at one time they made perfect sense: the Am divisions were called Am 1, Am 2 and Am 3 (there was no Am 4 at that time). Once a newbie was told that Am 1 was the highest division, everything else made sense (except how the Pros made jump putts without footfaulting, which is still a mystery today).

So whether you call it forehand, sidearm, two finger, flick or whatever it is still pretty much impossible to throw into a strong headwind ( unless you buy my video for $39.99 plus shipping which explains it all perfectly).

At least "hyzer" and "anhyzer" are ours alone.
Shameless plug...but a good one, I must say.
As always great reply councilor...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968