www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If you have both shots in your arsenal how do you choose which to throw??

Is it better to be great at one or okay at both?

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm right-handed so... I throw forehand for any shots that need to turn left or if need to go long. I throw backhand for any shot that needs to turn right or short fairway drives. Putting is always done with a backhand.

I prefer my forehand over my backhand all day.
that's how i read it too. that'd be a cool way to play
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess Destraayer is a lefty?

I throw forehand equally as well as backhand(righty). Forehand is alot more difficult to become consistent and accurate with. Im sure Im not the only one that will say that. Putting, always backhand unless i need to poke out the right side of a bush or something.
IMO it is better to be okay at forehand and great at backhand. just an opinion though.
Maybe he throws all rollers, that would be cool except on water holes.
Most players will never be GREAT at either forehand or backhand. Great is a darn high standard.

We all need to be competent at the shots we regularly use and need to have an understanding of, and some practice at, the shots we use occasionally.

Just thinking about the most basic of throws: backhand, forehand, overhead and rollers, how many players do we know who are accomplished at all of them? Even some of our 1000 rated Pros might do poorly on one or more of those categories.

Since time is limited even those players with strong motivation to practice and improve need to emphasize their strengths but still chip away at their weaknesses. The good news is that disc golf is a life-long sport so practice not only helps in the short term but long term as well. The long term effects of consistent practice are often underestimated.

The more difficult the shot, the more often it needs to be practiced to keep it sharp. Forehands and rollers have a small margin of error (so a small miss can cause a big error) so they need to be used regularly.

Most players have a natural preference for one driving style over the others. A reasonably gifted athlete, with good motivation and training will take a couple years to develop basic competence with their dominant style. Their non-dominant style probably never catches up. If it does then strong motivation is probably the biggest contributing factor.

Of all the shots, the hardest to master is the putt. Most players can make themselves adept at driving. Putting is what really separates players, especially at the Pro level.
i think he may not know left from right, sounds like a lefty.
Ok say you have a 300ft hole with trees alone both sides. It looks like a wide open fh but disc selection becomes an issue. Use an overstable driver fh or throw nice easy anny with a buzzz?? Anything under 250 I'm fine with a mid fh but I have problems with the 250 - 325 range.

And for me it becomes a rhythm thing, I throw either way equally good or bad most days. When I shank a bh then I start throwing more fh and vice versa.

I throw right handed and max out around 400ish both ways. Don't throw bh upshots and am a much better putter from outside 40 then from inside 15 :( all of this leads to very up and down play and I don't know what to do to become more consistent all around.
I threw forehand up until this time last summer when an old elbow injury (I wanted to be a sidearm pitcher when I was 8) decided it wanted to inject itself in to a tournament. After dropping out of the tourney (not a good day or week after that), I began to throw backhand. I feel no pain in my elbow doing this. I still use the forehand shot, though it is sparingly, like from behind a tree.
I'm RHBH dominant, but I do throw forehand, overhead, rollers, etc. I just throw what the shot calls for that is the most reasonable in my ability. If not, then I just throw what I think will work and throw up a prayer...never know what you can do till you try.
Simple answer. You need both. For me if it's 100 feet from the hole up to say 40 feet I use forehand for accuracy. Inside 40 is backhand. The drive is dictated by conditions. Having more weapons makes you more versatile.

Iowa State? You should go to the Ames forum at the Iowa Disc Golf website and check out my post about the original Arboretum course that we used to play.
Somebody gave him a Stingray and he's sticking with it.
I throw RHBH on most throws. I have more accuracy keeping with lines, and I can make it curve how I want. I am most comfortable with this throw, and I can hit different ranges with this throw (long, short). I also prefer this shot on most shots with a headwind.

I throw forearm on some shots as this gives me more consistency and accuracy on the start of the drive. I can't keep this shot on lines, nor do I have any real consistency with where the drive ends. I also use this shot sparingly except for where I feel I need to use it or where I feel I can get better distance with it. Throwing this way can mess up elbows and is prone to injuries.

I think a great way to approach this dilemma is to have both types of shots be something you're comfortable with. Maybe be more comfortable with one than the other, as I am with backhand, but feel confident that you can use both when needed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968