www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If you have both shots in your arsenal how do you choose which to throw??

Is it better to be great at one or okay at both?

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have adapted to both. I do get a bit more distance out of my FH drives then BH. Although I do not feel like I have enough control nor a good grip to throw a mid range FH. With my Buzz and Drone I am unable grip it the same way I do my FH drives so I prefer BH.

I also agree that no one can really become great. Defining that great is better then good and decent or okay and alright. Since I have a decent FH and a okay BH, I would like to say I am getting better and maybe one day good. Can any one get to great? Maybe totally wicked BH? Truly awesome FH? I do not know I just throw the thing in the direction of the pin and pray I have a decent second shot! Well, I do have one ACE so maybe I at least have a idea of what’s going on. ;)
yes, I pretty much have an Anny dominated game.
I agree with the majority here. The more shots you have in your bag, the better off you will be. I'm going through a similar change in game however. I have always thrown RHBH, but now I am working hard to have a comparable RHFH.
Practice putting from outside of 15 and under 30. Practice in 15 minute increments twice a day. That is what Mark taught me, and it works. Being a 1000 rated spotter, I see a lot of big drives, followed by inconsistent putts.
I choose based on obstacle positioning. I am right handed; if there are trees to my left, i throw backhand to avoid them, if they are to the right I'll throw forehand.
I'ts Good to Have Both a Great Sidearm and a Great Backhand !!!
For any style of putting in particular?

Is there a fundamental style to practice that precedes the push putt?

I mean say the full push putt is too complicated at first...

would you recommend that robot-arm style witihout the full push putt routine??

What is most helpful, form-wise to begin to build a better base??

I ask because I have about 10 styles, and none are consistent yet.
A push putt requires a very strong wrist, which I don't have, so I will leave that topic to someone who does.

The form or style of putting is the smallest issue. I have seen good putters using many different forms and bad putters using many different forms. I have seen good putters and bad putters with the same form.

Putting is throwing short shots. We all have the ability to throw a short shot. We all can make putts : sometimes. For experienced players, good putting is more above the shoulders than below them. Putting comes down to practice and confidence.

We need lots of different styles of putts because there are lots of different kinds of putts. So practice lots of different kinds of putts in different winds, at different angles, around different obstacles.

If you want to be a good putter practice MAKING lots of putts. Repeat as needed.

If you want to be a great putter and are not one right now and don't have a great wrist, hope for better genetics in your next life. :)
Well put! The only shot that I don't have is the thumber. My arm would probably come detached if I threw that. Recently I added in the forehand roller shot. But it comes down to wind conditions and obstacles. Some days the wind can also dictate a shot (when that anny wind is begging you to sail one).
I struggled with RHBH so I used to play strictly RHFH. I'm approaching my 10th month, and I have started to integrate RHBH into my game. The odd thing for me? I can walk up to the tee box and just flick my wrist and throw an overstable disc 200 ft, or, I can use a form similar to throwing out a fast base-runner from third and and the disc travels 250. Every once in awhile, I can throw a nice S with my backhand, but it also dies out after 200 or so feet.

Anyway, I see value in having both drives in your bag. I agree with the whole "putt for dough" mindset, but don't under-estimate the well placed approach shot. I like to practice shots from 100 ft or so out. Saves me strokes every game.
I would love to have a consistant forhand but I dont ,so I practiced controlled ani's that helps on right hand ending holes.I would say keep practicing and get good at both. Thats what i'm doing now
im right handed in everything i do except throwing a disc backhand. i can throw a forehand with my right, however i choose not to unless its my only option, rarely is it my only option unless i miss a fareway and jam in the trees or something of that nature. i throw 99 percent of my shots LHBH, so i had to develop a sick anny to stay competitive. i see some people switch depending on the hole, i focus on my anny or hyzer. thats what im comfortable with for accuracy and distance. i want to develop muscle memory and consistency off the tee, therefore i focus on my backhand and i always move my basket around the yard to practice my putting, i do toss a few puts forehand in my yard from behind a bush, just in case i need to use that shot in a round. keep practicing and so will i, good luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968